Chapter 37

I wasted my remaining hours in Jack's chamber. Sitting in an ornate chair in the corner of a spacious room, legs crossed, my left foot tapped the air in impatience. My mind spun with alternate outcomes, what I would do if he didn't show.

The invasion was imminent, and I had to hold on to the hope that Jack would never miss a chance to gloat. He probably knew I wasn't as loyal to him as I claimed. It's not like anything could erase our past, and he would want to rub it in my face when he won.

At least my waiting was in comfort, I scoffed at the outrageous opulence of his room. The rest of the crew, myself included, lived in pods the size of closets. Well, the mercenaries didn't believe in democracy, that much was for sure.

My stomach twisted with a mix of anxiety and anticipation when I heard voices outside of the door. The muffled conversation ended with an exasperated dismissal, and when the door slid open I saw Jack run his hand through his hair as Mulch skulked away down the hallway.

Seeing me perched in the chair brought a spark back to his eyes, albeit a particularly evil one. It brought me no comfort to know I was right, and whatever hood I'd pulled over his head had faded in the hours between.

"Honey, I'm home!" He chuckled, and the sight of the door closing behind him, locking us in, sent my pulse racing.

"You kept me waiting." I put on an exaggerated pout, crossing my arms and playfully pushing out my lower lip.

"Every second was agony," he came closer, still grinning like a fox in a henhouse. "You'll forgive me?"

I pushed off from the chair before he could get too close, shrugging playfully and walking over to the standing bar on the adjoining wall.

"I'm sure you'll find some way of making it up to me." I grabbed the two glasses of hard liquor I'd poured in anticipation of his entrance. The ice was mostly melted, but I offered him one in a gesture of peace.

"Would you care for a drink, darling?" Never dropping the charade, I presented it to him with a flutter of my eyelashes.

"Oh sweetheart," he took the glass from me, and my pulse jumped. He passed it under his nose, appearing to savor the spicy aroma of the alcohol. "Do you think I'm that stupid?"

He threw the glass quickly against the wall, and it shattered in a scattering of crystal and amber liquid. I couldn't help but flinch as the pieces rained down on the plush carpet, startled by his sudden change in demeanor.

Thankfully I composed myself quickly, having anticipated his volatility. I sighed, looking at the mess.

"What a waste, but I understand." Looking him in the eye, I reached out my arm and slowly poured my own glass onto the carpet.

He smirked, happy to have outwitted me.

"I'll get us something fresh?" He walked over to the bar, hand hovering over the dark bottle I'd used earlier. Studying my reaction, he pulled a small key from his pocket and unlocked the bottom of the bar. From inside, he pulled out an unopened bottle. I froze my face in an amiable smile, not revealing anything, while my pulse fluttered with tension.

"It's not you, really." He grabbed two fresh glasses and, with a pair of silver tongs, delicately placed a large sphere of ice in each. He made himself chuckle with a passing thought. "Or, maybe it is."

The cap to the new bottle was sealed with wax, and it made a satisfying crack as he twisted it open.

"Maybe if you'd waited to pour them, I wouldn't be suspicious."

"Oh Jack, you're so paranoid." My giggle sounded shrill and unconvincing.

"Maybe I am," he poured the new liquor into each glass, then gave them a slow swirl to coat the ice. "Would you rather I underestimate you again?"