Chapter Eight: A Knack

y/n's PoV:

Your heart starts pounding more aggressively every second that passes by in silence. Yes, you're thankful that the both of you are carefully choosing your words, but anything would do right now.

He removes his hand from your thigh.

y/n whispers: Char... Baby...?

He gets up and walks away from you - That was the possibly worst time to check out of this conversation - Your eyes become a little watery, but you hold back every single tear that tries making its way down your face.

You stare at your hands for a moment, hopelessly waiting for him to return, but instead, you hear the apartment door close; He left.

You try doing the stupid inhale-exhale thing, but no... The dam breaks, and the tears start streaming down your face. Why did he have to leave?

y/n whispers: Fuckk...

Charles' PoV:

You leave your apartment complex and walk straight down the street, before you come to a halt. What are you even doing? Why the fuck did you leave without saying a thing?

Charles sighs: Fuck!

You immediately turn around again - Anger or no anger, she's your girl, and you just left like an absolute idiot would - Like her Father used to take off when he was mad at her or her Mom. Shit, shit, shit. What the actual hell is wrong with you?

This isn't even about what she did right now. It's about how you reacted and took off.

You hurry down the street, and practically run up the stairs to your apartment again. When you unlock the door, you walk back into the living room, but she's not there.

Charles calls: Y/n? Darling?

You do your best to be quiet for a moment, so that you can hear her. Of course she doesn't respond. You sigh and walk towards your bedroom when you hear the muffled sounds - The door is closed. You knock gently.

You just hear soft sobs. Fuck man. She's really one of the toughest people you know - She rarely complains, she works hard and she sucks everything up... Except for these types of things and that's your job - You should've known better, but you let your anger get the worst of you. You let her down.

You slowly open the door; She's sitting on the floor next to the bed, glancing up at you. Fuck - Your heart shatters into a million pieces. Why did you let that happen?

Charles softly: My love...

The tears continue running down her face - You grab a box of tissues, before you sit down beside her.

y/n whimpers: I'm sorry-

Charles sighs: No Princess... You shouldn't even be. I was an asshole just now. I should never leave like that-

You pull out a tissue, and start wiping her cheeks dry.

Charles whispers: Not like he used to leave you-

She leans her head against her shoulder. You wrap your arm around her. Her Father was a proper asshole.

Charles softly: I love you - I'll marry you - And...

She glances up at you.

Charles sighs: That ultimatum was bullshit.

She wraps her arms around you and presses soft kisses onto your lips. You wish she would've said she chooses you over her team, but that wouldn't have happened. If the roles were reversed, and she would've asked you to leave Ferrari, you would've also said no. That's simply not an option to stop racing.

y/n sighs: I should've told you the very next day when I got the offer...

You nod. Yeah, she should've.

y/n: So, this will work?

You sigh - You want it to work, but you're afraid that she'll wreck your career and that you'll resent her for it. Yeah, maybe that's all insecurity on your part, but racing is all you've got besides y/n and your family. It's your purpose in life... You trained hard, you sacrificed for it, you lost people along the way... You broke down and built yourself back up again, time and time again - That made you a better racer. Time, patience and practice.

Meanwhile y/n... She's like Max in that regard. Sure they also invested a lot of time into perfecting their craft, and yes, both of them sacrificed a lot on their way to the top too... But she just quit under the premise of it getting too easy - She went on and won and won and won in other disciplines.

You still struggle in every race, and you fight hard to keep your seat - All while your girl is a natural born talent, with ungodly skills for driving and an extreme knack for overtaking... You can't compete and it kills you sometimes. You raced against her and Max in their golden days and it was hell on earth for everyone on that grid who wasn't part of Red Bull.

They didn't just dominate - They obliterated the competition. Your stomach cramps up. Oh you'll regret this moment dearly.

You stroke her hair back, before pressing a slow, long kiss onto her mouth.

Charles whispers: We'll make it work.