Chapter 3

In the cosy confines of Dr Ramirez's office, soft light filtered through the blinds, casting a tranquil glow on the room. The air carried a sense of stillness as Maya sat in the comfortable armchair, her gaze lost in the depths of their own thoughts. Dr Ramirez observed Maya's introspective demeanour and allowed a respectful silence to envelop the space.

Maya's mind danced with memories, pain, and grief that had become unwelcome companions throughout her life. Her eyes wandered to the family photograph on the bookshelf, capturing a moment frozen in time, a moment she never had the pleasure to witness with her family, she never could now.

As the seconds turned into minutes, Maya let out a heavy sigh, releasing some of the emotional burdens she carried. Her voice, barely above a whisper, filled the room. "I've tried to distract myself, losing myself in work, finding ways to lose the memories, but it only helps temporarily, they always find their way back to me."

"Coping mechanism can provide temporary relief, we need to find the root of these emotions," Dr Ramirez answered, her warm gaze never leaving Maya.

"What if I don't want to get to the root of these emotions?" Maya looked up, she has had enough of nightmares and panic attacks trying to bury these emotions, she didn't need to look for the root of them, it'll only make it worse.

"What's the reason?" Dr Ramirez asked.

Maya took a breath, "It's overwhelming, you know? The weight of all these memories, the heaviness of the loss I've endured. It's hard to imagine a life without this pain, a life where I can breathe freely."

"It's completely understandable, Maya. Grief and pain can be all-consuming, shaping our perception of the world. But it's important to acknowledge that pain does not define you. It is a part of your story, but it doesn't have to be the only chapter," Dr Ramirez agreed, she needed to help this child to the best of her abilities, the best she could.

Maya heaved a sigh, she knew what Dr Ramirez had said held truth in it, but it would be a long road, one she wasn't sure she would want to travel on, but she needed to.

"I'll help you through it, Maya," Dr Ramirez spoke, she leaned on her desk a glimmer of hope in her eyes, she offered it to Maya, even if she excepted a bit of her hope, Dr Ramirez was sure Maya would make an incredible recovery, Maya just needed to believe.

Maya only offered Dr Ramirez a smile, she didn't have anything else to say, not yet anyway.

____________________________

"How was therapy?"

Maya shrugged, her sole focus on her laptop, she still had a bit of her project so she was sat in the university library with Amara both of them completing their projects before the deadline.

Amara knew pieces about Maya's past, she knew how much of an asshole her father had been to her, she knew about Maya's mother and her passing, but there was significantly more things she wasn't aware of, she didnd't have the need to be either ways, Maya would tell her when the time comes.

"It was heavy as always," Maya replied, pushing away her laptop facing Amara, "It's getting harder as the weeks go by."

Amara nodded, understanding her point, "but it gets better if you really work with it."

Maya smiled softly at her, "You know that's the only thing I'm not good at?"

Amara rolled her eyes, "look at the narcissist," she playfully shook her head in disappointment.

Maya smiled smugly leaning back in her chair.

"Say," Amara leaned forward, "you wanna get something to eat?"