Seven: A Talking Donkey

More days, months and years in the wilderness. Moving from place to place in search of a permanent home for the millions of people and animals, the Israelites found themselves at another point of their journey where another country owned the land in front of them. They knew permission had to be given in order for them to move on. Having previously been denied the right to cross at Moab they were careful to proceed, they knew they would have to ask cautiously. The land they were bordering was occupied by Amorites. They first sent messengers to ask, "Please let us pass through your country. We will not turn aside into any field or vineyard, nor drink your water."

Shion flat out refused to let them pass through. He also reacted with haste when he mustered up his entire army and marched out into the desert against Israel. But, they weren't prepared for the back up Israel had. With God's mighty hand Israel defeated them! Permission wasn't needed anymore as the Israelites took over the land from Arnon to the Jabbok. (Fear had always been a huge part of the decision making for the Israelites - they never wanted to stir up trouble, but it was time to cross and God was ready to give them some encouragement. With this defeat they not only took over some great land, they gained courage. When God is on your side and when His timing is right, nothing can stop Him from giving you glory and victory!)

The victory, however, was only as far as the Ammonites, because their border was fortified. (To move farther forward would require more wars and battles all around.

With God's protecting hand it was like Israel gained superpowers over night. And in the months that followed that first victory Israel went on and captured the surrounding cities and occupied them, which included Heshbon and all its surrounding settlements - the land of the Amorites.

Battles were won and land was acquired - victory felt good to the weary Israelites. But that land wasn't the land God promised their forefathers. The promised land was still sitting beyond the Jordan waiting for them to arrive. So when it was time to move forward Moses sent spies ahead to Jazer. When satisfied they had enough information, the Israelites attacked and were able to capture its surrounding settlements and drive out the Amorites who were settled in that territory as well. Then they turned and went up along the road toward Bashan. The king, Og, brought out his entire army to meet them in battle at Edrei. The Lord said to Moses, "Do not be afraid of him, for I have handed him over to you, his whole army and his land. Do to him what you did to Sihon king of the Amorites, who reigned in Heshbon." So they struck them down, together with their sons and the entire army, leaving them no survivors. They took possession of their land.

During the months that followed the Israelites traveled on to the plains of Moab and camped along the Jordan across from Jericho.

Balak, king of Moab, watched from afar and saw all that the Israelites had done to the Amorites. He reported it to his people in Moab who became terrified and filled with dread at the sheer size of the Israelites. The Moabites said to the elders of Midian, "This horde is going to lick up everything around us, as an ox licks up the grass of the field." 

Balak felt an urgency to do something drastic. He knew his people were scared and he also knew the Israelites had God on their side. So, he sent messengers to summon Balaam who was a professional magician of a nomadic clan somewhat like the gypsies. He had an impressive reputation to work magic and get the gods to work in his favor. The king of Moab told his messengers to tell Balaam, "A people has come out of Egypt, they cover the face of the land and have settled next to me. Now come and put a curse on them because they are too powerful for me. Perhaps then I will be able to defeat them and drive them away. For I know that those you bless are blessed and those you curse are cursed." (The Israelites were not aware nor familiar with a land where magic and sorcery were used as weapons.)