Twelve: Moral Code

Moses' second speech was intended to remind the Israelites of the laws and decrees and expectations God had laid out for them. God planned to continue to dwell with them and He expected the place and all who lived there to be holy.

Moses said, "Hear me now o'Israel, follow the laws and decrees from the Lord your God so that you may live. Also so that you may go in and take possession of the land He has given you. Do not add to the law or subtract from it, but keep all the commands of the Lord that I give you." (Remembering an entire law, or avoiding leaving out one of God's laws was one thing, but a big problem of 'religious ' people was adding to God's laws. Such as legalism, even though it may seem holy, it goes against God's instruction not to add to his laws. For instance people in Jesus's time invented elaborate rules on how far you could walk on the Sabbath. This wasn't God's law, but people's. And in God's eyes it was sinful. It's just as bad to add to His laws as it is to subtract from His laws.)

"Remember what happened to those who followed Baal - those of you who did not are still alive. People who look upon our nation will say we are a wise and understanding people if we keep God's laws and live right according to Him. Therefore other nations will be attracted to also worshiping our God because they will see what a blessed, treasured nation we are. We are blessed in that our God is very near to us. Be careful that you do not forget what our God has done for us, teach your children so that they will teach their children. Remember the way the mountain blazed with fire with black clouds and deep darkness, when the Lord spoke to you out of the fire. There was no form, only a voice. You have heard the words, you heard the voice of God declare to you the Ten Commandments. You should continue to follow those decrees and laws going into the promised land. Because you heard the voice of the Lord and you lived." (There was no form! No man made form such as idols made with human hands which would devalue and insult such a God. What a privilege!)

"Watch that you do not become corrupt. Do not make an idol, of any shape or form. Do not be enticed into bowing down to anything in the sky, such as the sun, the moon and the stars, which God apportioned to all the nations under heaven."

"As for me, the Lord is angry at me because of you, and I will die here in this land. I will not cross over the Jordan, but you will. Be careful not to forget the covenant you made with God, for He is a consuming fire, a jealous God."

"After you have lived in the land a long time, having children and grandchildren, be sure not to begin to forget and then do evil - you will provoke your God to anger - and you will quickly perish from the land. The Lord will destroy you and scatter you among the peoples, and only a few will survive. If you worship man made gods which can neither see, hear nor smell, in your distress you will seek the real one true God. You can look for your God and find Him. Seek Him with all your heart and soul. If you will return to Him, and you are willing to obey Him, you will find that He is a merciful God, he will not abandon or destroy you or forget his covenant with your forefathers if you repent and obey."

"All that God had done for you, all the miracles; the parting of the sea, the plagues on Egypt, God's protective hand, the ability to take down stronger, greater nations - never forget! From heaven he made you, you hear His voice. Acknowledge and take to heart that the Lord is God in heaven and on earth. There is no other. Keep his decrees and commands, so that it may go well with you. So that you may live long in the land the lord your God gives you."

"God made this covenant with us - for all who are alive today. His commands were: Never have other gods before Him, Never make an idol for yourself , for God will punish to the third and fourth generations of those who disobey. Do not misuse the name of the Lord. Observe the Sabbath day, keep it holy. Honor your father and your mother. Do not murder. Do not commit adultery. Do not give false testimony against your neighbor. Do not steal. Do not covet. These are the commands God has given us. Do not turn right or left from them, Walk in the way that the lord has commanded so that you may live and prosper and prolong your days."

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. Tell your children about Him. Tell everyone about Him."

"When you live in a land with large, flourishing cities you did not build, houses filled with all kinds of good things you did not provide, wells you did not dig, and vineyards and olive groves you did not plant, where you eat and are satisfied, be careful that you do not forget the Lord who brought you out of Egypt. Fear the Lord, serve Him only. Do not test the Lord. Tell the next generations in detail all about God and what He has done, and will continue to do."

"When you defeat the many nations God will bring you up against, He will deliver them to you, nations who are bigger and stronger, notice the blessings, remember how He protects you. Do not make treaties with them, show them no mercy, leave no survivors. Destroy them completely. Do not intermarry your daughters and sons. Burn their idols, cut down their Asherah poles, smash their sacred stones. You are God's treasured people. He chose you, he loves you, and he swore an oath with your forefathers. He is a faithful God, keeping his covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love him and keep his commands. ( God choose Israel out of grace, pure and simple, it wasn't because of their size, their impressiveness, goodness, or faithfulness.) If you follow His command he will bless you, increase your families, bless your crop, and your flock. He will keep you free from disease. In fact he will instead inflict disease upon those who hate you. Do not be afraid of stronger, larger nations for God will be with you. He is a great powerful and awesome God. No one will be able to stand against you with God by your side. When you take over these nations, don't take their silver and gold, for it is detestable to your God. Don't bring a detestable thing into your home or you will be set apart for destruction."

(What a privilege to be able to depend on God for protection, a God so powerful there is absolutely nothing He can't do. Moses is telling his people to depend on God, enjoy His powerful protection and love Him for he wants to take care of them. What an amazing peace we can enjoy with these promises. )

(Life Question: Has someone in your circle of worship told you something was a sin when you knew in fact it was a man made law - something they wanted you to follow, but wasn't of God? Sometimes we follow along if it doesn't go against anything we value. The problem is things can get confusing when we follow man's law. Things become harder than they have to be. Expectations of someone who wants you to live by their rules can blend in and confuse us with what God expects of us. The best thing is to study God's word in the Bible and know what is right, and true. Keep in mind, however, the laws of this day - in Moses' time - are not laws that the people of Jesus' time followed. When Jesus came to earth, a lot of things changed!)