Ten: Final Preparations for The Promised Land

Everyone, including Moses, was eager to see the promised land. It had been a long and tiring journey, but their hope was in the land ahead, the land promised to their forefathers. They were so close - the excitement grew. Moses had spent many many years of his life in the harsh desert as a leader. He was a man who strived to solve problems, sit as judge, lead and guide, make decisions, keep the peace, give out commands from God, delegate jobs, settle disputes, and follow God's law. Yet he fell short. And his sin was great. He broke faith, and in doing so broke God's heart. His sin was enough that God didn't see fit for him to cross over into the promised land. He was so close, yet it was out of reach.

The Lord knew his desires. He told Moses, "Go up this mountain in the Abarim range and see the land I have given the Israelites. After you have seen it, you too will be gathered to your people as your brother Aaron was, for when the community rebelled at the waters in the Desert of Zin both of you disobeyed my command to honor me as holy before their eyes. (These were the waters of Meribah Kadesh, n the Desert of Zin.)

Moses was broken hearted, yet he continued to think of the welfare of the people. He said to the Lord, "May the Lord , the God of the spirits of all mankind, appoint a man over this community to go out and come in before them, who will lead them out and bring them in , so the Lord's people will not be like sheep without a shepherd."

God told Moses to take Joshua, a man who had the spirit, and lay his hands on him. Have him stand before Eleazar the priest and the entire assembly and commission him in their presence. Give him authority so the whole Israelite community will obey him. Joshua is to stand before Eleazar the priest who will obtain decisions for him by inquiring of the Urim before the Lord. Moses did exactly as the Lord commanded and had Joshua commissioned in preparation to become the new leader.

The Lord told Moses to review with Joshua and all of the people His instructions involving daily life in preparation to cross over into the promised land. Moses gathered the people together and went over all the requirements of daily offerings, Sabbath offerings, and monthly offerings. He reminded the people of requirements to celebrate the Passover. He also reviewed the requirements of offerings during the feast of weeks, feast of trumpets, sacred assembly during the day of atonement, and the feast of tabernacles. He reminded them that when a man makes a vow to the Lord or takes an oath to obligate himself by a pledge, he must not break his word. (This review, this reminder was to accentuate the importance of following God, not man. Again, the temptations of the new land were great and God wanted them to be forewarned. Moses took his time and went into great detail the rules, regulations and expectations God wanted them to follow going forward. He expressed the importance of the festivals and the importance of passing on all that God has done for them to all the generations ahead. The festivals and feasts were to celebrate and remember all that they had went through to get to the reward. It was important that their kids' kids know God, their history and His expectations!)

The Lord then told Moses, "Take vengeance on the Midianites for the Israelites. After that you will be gathered to your people."

Moses obeyed. He took a thousand men from each tribe and armed them for battle. He sent them along with Eleazar the priest who took with him articles from the sanctuary and the trumpets for signaling.

They fought against Midian just as the Lord commanded. They killed all five kings of Midian. They also killed Balaam with the sword. (The last time we heard about Balaam had been when he blessed the Israelites instead of cursing them. We learn later in the Bible that Balaam turns against God and chooses not to follow Him when he is motivated by Midian's money and also realizes that God can not be manipulated. The Israelites found out that He was the one who advised the Midianite women to seduce the men which brought on a plague that killed thousands of them.)The Israelites captured the women and children and took all the Midianite herds, flocks and goods as plunder. They burned all the towns and camps.