Collecting bounties

New California Republic
New Arroyo, Year 2288

|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|

The meeting point was located a long ways outside New Arroyo, beside the long abandoned Red Rocket gas station. The mid July sun was high up in the horizon, casting long lines of shadows on the lone figure on the ground. The person notices a pack of wild Cazadores in the distance, making loud buzzing noises as they hovered atop a brahmin corpse.

You would not be able to tell that the person leaning against the wall of the abandoned building was a woman at first glance, due to the long, dab olive green duster that covered her feminine curves. The brim of her cowboy hat covered her face as she looked at the ground.

The wind howled, kicking up dust and tumbleweeds towards the opposite direction of the bustling city. There were a few caravaners coming from the east, probably from the agricultural farming town of Modoc or Klammath. The gunslinger caught sight of a lone NCR patrol squad lingering just outside New Arroyo's gate.

Ol' Freddie "The Highwayman" and his gang of goons should've been here half an hour ago to collect protection money. The gunslinger sighed inwardly and took the gold watch out of her pocket; the screen showed thirty minutes past 12. She took a long wind of her cigar, before letting the wind carry the smoke away.

After a few minutes of dead silence, beside the constant buzzing of an insect from time to time, the gunslinger finally heard the soft jingle jangle of spurs hitting the sand. A few moments of waiting and she catches sight of the gang; raiders calling themselves highwaymen and masquerading as western outlaws.

'Four.' counted the gunslinger. 'Just like they said.'

"This dang heat is makin' me go crazy!" Freddie shouted while scratching his neck. He shoved his hat into his head and lit up a cigar as soon as they came a few feet from her.

The man was of average build, sporting fading blue trousers and a long sleeve with used up leather vest. He had a permanent crooked nose, which made him an easy face to remember.

"You're late." the gunslinger snapped. She taps the cigar and lets the ashes fall and mix within the sand.

"What, it's feckin' hot out there. Had to stop by and grab a drink, ain't that right boys?" Freddie remarked, a crooked smile forming on his mouth. The others jeered as a response.

"Well then, got our money?"

The woman lifted up her head, before tossing a used vault-tec lunchbox at the gang leaders' feet. A flash of surprise flickered in his face the moment their eyes met. He snickered and glanced at his fellow raiders, gesturing towards the person in front of them. They grinned as they eyed her up and down, with one man even whistling.

She was used to that kind of provocative reaction. Many people find the unusual color of her eyes striking. Some men were that easy to read, and these guys were no different. Just a bunch of scumbags who would immediately think of raping a woman as they land their eyes on her.

Total pieces of shit.

The smile on Freddie's face wavered as he squats on the ground, before being replaced with a look of bewilderment. He immediately stood up as he grabbed the contents of the lunchbox, his face contorting into a snarl.

"W-What the fuck is this!? Why's all our faces printed on these papers!?" spit flew out of his mouth as he shouted, his brows furrowing as he demanded an answer.

Instead of receiving the promised protection money, the gunslinger filled the lunchbox of their wanted poster. It was time to put a stop on their criminal behavior, and she was here to enforce the law.