Law abiding citizens

New California Republic
The Scrap house
Border of Redding, year 2288

The figure suddenly turned sideways, groaning as the soft texture of the old mattress made her body sink in the bed. Sweeping through the room, the cold breeze of the western hemisphere sent a chilling feeling all over her body. She shuddered at the cold.

The skin of her belly was exposed alongside some parts of her back, which the blanket failed to cover. Every time her body was in the presence of alcohol, she slept like a log. And she kept moving around in bed, changing positions every once in a while.

The old bed kept creaking, causing Lasso's drifting mind to snap awake. He begrudgingly opened his eyes while he heaved a long sigh, his vision adjusting to the mild darkness of the room. There was a single lit candle in the table near his foot, desperately clinging to life as another surge of wind howled.

It was still in the early hours of the morning; his old watch telling him it was quarter to six as he lifted his arm. He could not get a chance to sleep after last night. The heated argument caused his body to pump adrenaline into his system, which caused him a huge headache after it worn out.

There was also the fact that the room only had one bed, and when he arrived inside, Granger was already passed out sleeping. She took over the entire space, but even if she had saved a space, Lasso wouldn't sleep beside her.

Even though he's drunk too, he still respected her personal space. There was a long couch stacked near corner of the doorway, so he made himself comfortable. He expected to get some enough shut-eye, but the constant creaking of the bed coupled by the headache antagonizing him made it impossible to sleep.

Coming to his senses, a grunt escapes his mouth as he sat up, stretching his legs and feeling a good numbing sensation all over his body. He made a disgusted face when he smelled the lingering smell of alcohol in his mouth, before drinking a bottle of purified water.

He took a tablet of paracetamol and another bottle and props it beside the bedside table. Her hangover will be worse than his, that he knew full well. Seeing that she's not waking up sooner than later, he took it upon himself to rinse his body clean.

When it comes to hygiene, the wasteland and the frontier are places that doesn't give a damn about it. This wasn't like before the time before the bombs dropped; it's a time of survival and post apocalypse. Most people don't even know they're carrying diseases until it's already too late.

Luckily, the Scrap house has been civilized enough to repair the old bathrooms. They had fully functional showers, and most important of all, they're heated too. Lasso groaned in a delightful manner as luke warm water splashes his dark hair, before scrubbing his body with a small towel.

After feeling that he was in a cleaner state than before, he took his used clothes and drenched them in the water. It was a neat trick he learned from his parents when he was still a boy. The business her mother took upon their household was laundry matting. It was hot in Shady Sands after all.

When Lasso finished changing into his inconspicuously looking ranger gear, he hung his clothes near the room's windowsill. What he failed to recognize when he entered the room, however, was his partner changing her clothes.

“Jesus! I thought you were still asleep!” He turned his head the opposite direction as Granger slipped out of her shirt. Her skin pricked at the cold temperature of the early hours of the morning.

“Mhnngg..!” An almost inaudible popping sound was heard as she stretched her back, causing her entire body to shrug. She narrowed her eyes at Lasso's back while he lined up his clothes for the air to dry.