𖥻 LABYRINTH

"do you know how much i hate that everybody just expects me to bounce back, just like that"

˗ˋ ୨୧ ˊ˗

IT ALL SEEMED TO hit riley at once, the death of her mother, how she was basically considered an orphan, thoughts of who her father was, if he had a family somewhere, her anxiety was getting ahold of her, and she felt as if it would kill her any second.

she hadn't realized she had been shaking until peter pointed it out, they were now on the decathalon bus, making their way to dc, no one seemed to question the fact that peter suddenly wanted to rejoin.

"riley" peter called out, but she didn't hear, too consumed with her own thoughts. he gave ned a concerned look before trying again

"star." he repeated, this seemed to shake her from her episode, sometimes she would get all in her head, and she felt like she wasn't truly there.

she looked up from her hands, her, ned, and peter were all sitting in the back seat, to be able to communicate easier, no one thought anything of it, except mj.

"uh- yea?" she looked up at the brunette sitting in front of her, not seeming to realize that her hands were still shaking.

"are you okay... you've been shaking for the past 2 minutes," he says slowly, afraid that she'll zone off again.

"huh- yes peter. i'm fine, why wouldn't i be fine?" she manically says, turning to look to ned, "you're fine right? yea great he's fine, i'm fine, we're all fine!"
she says, a bit louder then intended.

peter and ned share a glance before bed gets up, thinking that he should give riley and peter some place to talk.

he slowly grabs riley's hand, but she quickly retracts it, not used to the sudden affection from the boy she once hated. he sighed before looking back into her eyes.

i never realized how pretty her eyes were, and the freckles? oh god. he thought to himself but quickly shook it away as him and riley had been friends for roughly 48 hours. there's no way he could catch feelings.

"riley, i know you're not fine, you're acting just like i did when uncle ben died, you can talk to me. you know you didn't have to come on the trip right?" he sighed as he looked at her.

"i told you i'm fine. i don't want people to start treating me like i'm some fragile piece of glass that's going to break. i'm not. just because my mom died doesn't mean you have to suddenly start caring about me!" she said that last part louder then intended, causing the whole bus to look at the duo, giving riley pitying glances.