The Start of Forever

As Tony left the hospital room with Peter in his arms, nurses and doctors flashed sad looks to him before they entered May's room. Before he could take Peter home, a doctor requested that he go talk with him in his office to take care of a few things. 

"Hi Mr. Stark, I'm Dr. Smith, it's nice to meet you" the doctor said as he shook Tony's hand. 

Dr. Smith frowned as he switched his focus to the crying boy in Tony's arms, "I am so sorry for your loss, Peter" he said gently as he placed his hand on the boy's back for a second. Peter didn't acknowledge the man so Tony just gave the man a frown. 

"Come, take a seat. I will try and make this brief because I know you probably just want to get him home." Dr. Smith said as he sat at his desk and Tony sat down in one of the chairs infront of his desk with Peter still clung tightly to his chest, quietly sobbing. 

"Yeah, you're right. I need to get him home soon. What is this about?" Tony said kinda annoyed because he didn't understand what was so important that he needed to be having a sit-down chat in an office at 2am. 

"Well it's about just that, Peter's home. I understand May was Peter's last blood relative, so a social worker will be coming to see you tomorrow morning about getting Peter into a foster home. I'm assuming he's staying with you tonight?" The doctor asked.

Tony was fuming at this man, the mention of foster care made Peter sob again. There was no way Peter was leaving his care to be sent to a foster home, "Did you not read May's file? There must be somewhere in it that says she has a legal agreement with me that states I will be the one to take custody of Peter if this situation ever happened!" Tony exclaimed as he rambled to the doctor furiously. 

"Sir, calm down. Are you saying you signed a guardian declaration form for Peter?"

"Do not tell me to calm down, and yes. I went to the courthouse with May a little over a year ago and I signed one of those forms to get custody of Peter if something like this ever were to happen. Is it not in her file?"

"No, we don't have a record of people's legal documents. We only file their medical history. You and May both should have received a copy of the signed form, so if you can provide it to us, we won't send a social worker for Peter. If you don't have it, you can request a copy from the courthouse but it will take a week or so for them to process your request so Peter would have to stay in a foster home for that time."

Tony felt relieved hearing that he just had to provide the form to avoid a social worker coming to take Peter, but he couldn't remember where he put it, "No, I have the form at home. I can have someone bring it over right now. I just have to give them a call."

"That is no problem. You can make your call and wait for them in here if you want, I don't mind. I just think it might be better for Peter because it's quieter than the waiting room. I have to go give a consult down the hall, but when you have the form, let one of the nurses outside my office know and they will come get me. Is there anything you or Peter need before I go?" Dr. Smith asked as sincere as he can, fearing that he got off on the wrong foot with Tony before, when he wasn't trying to be rude with his request. 

Tony felt a little bad for getting so angry with the man before, but he was still in shock about everything that happened and he was trying to comfort Peter, so he didn't appreciate being asked to calm down at the time. He can see Dr. Smith feels bad so Tony gives him a small smile before responding, "Thank you so much doctor, and actually yes, there is one thing you can get for me if you wouldn't mind."

"Of course, anything." Dr. Smith responded.

Tony spoke quieter knowing that Peter was still awake, "Can you just get me a diaper or a pull-up and some wipes?"