Rough First Night

As soon as they got home, they headed straight up to Tony's private floor. Tony was hoping the team was sleeping and no one saw them on the security footage coming in because he really couldn't answer any questions right now. 

Once they were on Tony's floor, Pepper put the box of Peter's stuff on the kitchen counter and went to her and Tony's bedroom to get one of Tony's t-shirts for Peter to wear for the night. Tony brought Peter, who was sound asleep in his arms, to the bathroom and carefully laid him onto a towel on the floor. Luckily, Tony had an extra one of Peter's diapers in the cabinet from the time he slept over. Tony quickly changed Peter, but he internally cursed when he saw Peter's rash. It had definitely gotten worse and he didn't have any cream for him. As he was finishing up, Pepper walked in with the t-shirt. The pair carefully undressed Peter and slipped the t-shirt onto him, Peter was so tiny that Tony's t-shirt looked like a dress on him. The couple thought Peter looked adorable.

Peter started to fuss when Tony picked him up off the ground, "shh Pete it's okay. Go back to sleep. You're okay" the man whispered as he carried the boy to the guest room next to his room. Tony was going to turn that guest room into Peter's room now. Tony laid Peter on the bed and tucked him in, he kissed his forehead and whispered 'goodnight Pete' before turning off the lights and leaving his room. 

Pepper was already in bed, she was sitting up with her back against the headboard waiting for her husband to join her.

"Pep I gotta shower quickly, I feel gross." Tony said as he walked straight into their bathroom and turned the water on. Pepper nodded.

Tony's shower was fast and once he was dressed he joined Pepper in bed, "Pep, I don't think I can do this" he said with a shaky voice.

"Tony listen to me, you love that boy so much, it is so obvious how much you already protect him. He needs you right now so you have to be there for him. He looks up to you so much, you know that? I watch him copy your mannerisms and language. You can do this, it will definitely be hard at first, but we will get through this. I will be there for you and Peter every step of the way, I promise. And I think it's a great idea to introduce the team to Peter, they will love him so much and they will definitely be willing to help out. Probably even try and help too much," her and Tony both chuckled a little thinking of who on the team would do that (Steve), "I think it is just so shocking right now that you literally became a father overnight that the whole parenting thing seems intimidating and now your second guessing yourself and your bond with Peter. You are going to be an amazing dad to that boy, Tony."

"I love you so much Pep" is all Tony said before leaning over to give her a kiss.

"I love you too Tony. Now try and get some sleep."

Tony was able to fall asleep, his mind was racing as he tried to come to terms with the fact that he was a dad now. He laid awake in his bed until FRIDAY sent an alert to his phone that showed Peter's elevated vitals, it indicated that Peter was having a panic attack. Tony got out of bed quickly but quietly, trying not to wake Pepper. He went to Peter's door next door to his and knocked shyly before peeking his head in, "Pete? Can I come in?"

Peter didn't respond but Tony could hear his crying pick up so he decided to just go in anyways. He saw Peter sitting up in his bed with his back against the headboard. His knees were to his chest and his face was buried in his arms, identical to the way Tony found him in the hospital. Tony sat down next to Peter and he realized the kid was hyperventilating. Tony tried to get Peter to look up, "Hey buddy, it's Tony. You're okay. Do you want me to hold you?" 

Peter didn't respond so Tony figured it was a repeat of when they were in the hospital and Peter was so distraught he wasn't able to recognize the man's voice. Tony sat next to the boy silently as he thought about the best way to go about this situation, but while he was thinking Peter looked up at him and reached his arms out. Tony quickly picked the boy up as he got up from the bed. He paced around the bedroom and comforted Peter exactly how he did a few hours ago.

When Peter was calm, Tony sat back down on the bed and moved to a semi-laying position with Peter still clung to his chest, "Pete did you have a nightmare?" Tony asked softly as he ran his fingers through Peter's sweaty curls. Peter gave the tiniest nod.

"Do you wanna try going back to sleep? I'll stay right here with you."

After a few moments of silence, Peter whispered, "b-blankie."

Tony frowned, he completely forgot Peter has trouble sleeping without his blankie, "Aw buddy I'm sorry. I totally forgot about blankie. Do you wanna go get blankie today?"Tony asked the boy knowing they had to go to his apartment at some point anyway to get all his stuff. Peter gave another tiny nod. The two of them just laid there for awhile, neither of them moving from the position they were in and neither of them actually falling asleep.

Tony felt so peaceful and content in that moment, just laying there silently while he snuggled with the boy, his boy. Parenting seemed a lot less scary to him now. Although it was just a brief moment of calm before the inevitable storm that was soon to come with everything that had to be taken care of now, he felt confident that he could handle the ups and downs of being a dad. If this was the good side of parenting Peter, he was willing to handle anything the bad side threw at him just to experience more moments like this. 

Tony checked the time, it was 9 am. He hoped Peter would still be sleeping at this time, however, it was the time he planned on waking up, knowing he had a lot of stuff to deal with, take care of , and set up. Tony also knew he had to have a lot of serious conversations with Peter today and he was nervous for Peter's response to them. As Tony thought about everything that had to get done, he started getting anxious and he didn't want Peter to copy his now fast breathing so he sat up slowly. He sat Peter next to him and ruffled his hair.

"Are you hungry Pete? Do you wanna get some breakfast?"

Peter shook his head but Tony decided he was going to make the kid something to eat anyways. Before they headed to the kitchen, Tony changed Peter's diaper. He found a pull-up in the box of things from the car. As Tony carried Peter to the kitchen, he had the first of many conversations they were gonna have today.

"Listen Peter, I think we need to tell Pepper about your diapers (she already knew about them but Peter didn't know that). She lives here with me so it will be hard to hide it from her. Also she really wants to help out and take care of you so I think she should know. Is it okay if I tell her? Pepper loves you so much bud, you know that. She would never make fun of you for it, promise."

Peter gave him a blank stare for a few seconds while he thought, "you can tell her because I like her" Peter said very quietly but Tony heard him loud and clear. He was so proud of Peter, this was not the reaction he was expecting at all. 

"You are such a good boy Peter, I am so proud of you! That was a very grown-up response, buddy!" Tony exclaimed as he set Peter down on the couch and turned on one of his favorite shows, Good Luck Charlie.

Tony went to the kitchen and made him and Pepper coffee and he poured a glass of apple juice for Peter. He put Peter's juice in a tumbler cup because it had a straw and a lid and Peter was prone to spilling his drinks. He handed Peter his juice and sat down next to him, "How would you feel if I go have that chat with Pepper now? Is it okay?" Peter nodded without taking his focus off the TV. Tony smiled small at the boy. "Okay if you need me just yell or tell FRIDAY, but I shouldn't be too long.

Tony wasn't actually going to reveal any secret to Pepper because she obviously already knew, but he did have to discuss their plan for the day without Peter hearing. It was nothing malicious but they knew Peter wouldn't be able to handle hearing about all the changes at once. That's why they had to discuss the best way to take care of everything and the order they should do it in.