5 : keep

° michael °

I expected to wake up in a limbo between heaven and earth or six feet under or even in a dungeon. But I woke up in the back of a van.

How cliche.

I felt someone leaning against my back and saw Luke in front of me, our hands still clasped, and Ashton laying behind him. I turned to see Calum, who looked like he'd previously been crying, sleeping, or both. But he was awake and dry-eyed now.

"Cal!", I cheered. He threw his arms around me and I fell back. I was still a bit groggy and numb from the drugs. "Are you okay, buddy?"

"I-I'm fine.", he stuttered. "I'm so glad that you're alive. I thought you, Luke, and Ash were dead." He sounded like he was beginning to cry. I patted his back and held him tighter.

"We'd never leave you, buddy.", I consoled. He just let out a sob, knowing I couldn't make fun or judge in this moment.

"Guys?", someone said from behind us.

I whipped my head around and saw Luke rubbing his eyes.

"Hey, Luke. How ya feelin'?", I asked.

"I'm okay, what about you and Cal?"

"I'm fine, Calum's a little shaken up though.", I answered.

Calum croaked, "She grabbed me, Michael. And she hit me and she forced me to put Ashton in here and she threatened me and she kissed me. I didn't like it, I didn't want it."

"Ah, come here, Calum.", Luke sighed. Calum melted into his arms, looking over Luke's broad shoulder at Ashton.

"Is Ash gonna be okay?", Calum asked Luke. I snuck a look at Ashton. He looked vacant and tired beyond compare, almost scaring me a little.

Luke swallowed hard. "He'll be fine. He's fine, Calum." I knew that Luke wasn't sure if Ashton would really be okay, or even if he was already dead. I think Calum knew this as well, but still liked a little reassurance.

Suddenly, we heard the car slow to a stop and a door slam. Soon after, the back doors opened and sunlight poured in. Everly crawled into the back.

"Hi. I didn't expect you to be awake. Don't worry, Ashton will be fine. I didn't hit him hard enough to kill him or anything." She giggled as if what she'd just said was a joke. She became serious again. "I'm sorry for slapping you, by the way, Calum. Did I hurt you, baby?" The girl reached a hand out to rest on his knee. Luke, who was still holding Calum, roughly slapped her arm away and she flinched as a sad expression overcame her face.

"Hey, Luke, calm down.", I warned him. I slowly approached her and examined where Luke had slapped her arm. "Are you okay, Everly?"

Calum asked, "You know her name?", at the same time Luke snapped, "What the hell, Michael?"

"Yes, and what, Luke?", I responded.

Luke furrowed his eyebrows. "She knocked us all out and kidnapped us and you're checking to see if she's okay?"

"She may have kidnapped us but you never hit a girl, Luke.", I defended.

He sighed. "You're right. I'm sorry. Are you alright, Emily?"

"Everly.", she amended, swiping at a stray tear.

"Right, Everly.", Luke confirmed. Everly nodded and rubbed her stinging arm. "I'm sorry."

"It's okay, Luke.", she accepted, quietly. Before anyone else could attempt to fill the silence, groans were heard from the other side of Luke.

"Wha' happened?", Ashton grumbled groggily. Everly's eyes brightened as he raised into a sitting position. He held the back of his head, moaning in pain. "Oh, right. Psycho girl hit me with a fucking shovel." Everly frowned at the name Ashton had called her. He noticed and mumbled an apologized while wincing at the pain from his head.

"Why did you kidnap us?", I asked curiously.

She shook her head, confused. "I don't understand why you all keep using that word. Kidnapping. You wanted to come with me." She then pulled a roll of duct tape out of her messenger bag that hung loosely at her side. "Michael? You first?" I shook my head and scooted backward. "Michael...we can do this the easy way, or...now I don't want to hurt you, Mikey, but if I have to..." I looked at the boys then back to Everly. I held my wrists together in front of me. She laughed softly.

"No. Behind your back, Mikey.", she said gently. I turned and held them behind me. She wound the tape tightly around them. I turned back once she was done and she put a long piece over my mouth. She repeated this process with each boy, Luke and Ashton showing a bit of resistance and Calum cowering a little when she touched his skin.

"Okay, boys. Welcome home."