Chapter Six

Phoebe had been shocked when the servants who showed up were human. Three human maids: a plump brunette named Sarah, a young blonde named Leia, and an older woman named Gloria; they all greeted her politely with soft smiles. She had been so caught off guard by their appearance that hadn't been able to protest when they escorted her into the bath and helped her get cleaned up. Washing her hair, scrubbing her arms, even putting an eucalyptus scented oil into the water – it actually made her forget where she was and helped her enjoy the experience.

However, it was surreal. She was a priestess, and a low-ranking one at that. While she was able to enjoy baths from time to time, she usually just used a basin, soap, and a rag. Most priests who lived in the temples did the same; soaking baths like these were a luxury. And having someone help her bathe? That was only a privilege for nobles.

They had even helped dry her down, comb her hair, and wash her face. She had thought that would have been the end of it, but instead, they dragged her over to a triad of mirrors to help her get dressed. Once they had dressed her into decent undergarments, they brought out several gowns for her to choose from.

They weren't quite like anything she had seen back in the mortal realm. Expensive and made from fine fabrics and jewels, but the styles were very different. Back home, noblewomen wore excessive gowns with corsets and crinolines, even when just at home. These were much more free flowing and delicate looking and would leave her arms, collar bone, and shoulders exposed. But they weren't overly revealing either, no high slits or low necklines to be found.

Even looking at the maids, they were wearing very basic and traditional maid uniforms. People had always said that demons saw humans as little more than toys; she would have imagined that any human servant would be forced to wear some humiliating outfit. Then again, she was still reeling from the fact that humans other than her were even here.

"My lady, which dress would you prefer?"

Snapping from her thoughts, she turned to Sarah, who was holding up a pink dress, and Leia, who held up a purple dress. Gloria was still looking at the other dresses that had been pulled out, sorting through them diligently.

"This style is very in right now," Sarah said, running her fingers down the gown. "You would look absolutely darling in this, and we have a set of earrings that would be perfect with them."

"If you want something simpler though, Lady Phoebe," Leia said as she showed off the purple dress. "Then this dress would suit you best. His Grace mentioned you prefer more conservative dresses."

Phoebe bit the inside of her cheek. How did he know that? Or did Lady Seraphine prefer them, and he just assumed she did as well? That only made her feel more anxious about this entire thing. If she really was the reincarnation of Lady Seraphine, then did that mean he already knew everything about her, even when she knew nothing about him? Was she even her own person anymore or had she always just been a replacement for someone else?

"If you don't like either of these, we can always pick something else," Leia said. She set down the purple dress "His Grace wanted to ensure you had plenty of options. Oh! He did say your favorite color was green, so perhaps this green dress here-!"

"Blue."

Leia and Sarah both stopped, turning to her with confused expressions.

"My favorite color is blue," she said, probably a little more aggressively than she needed. Knowing he was wrong both comforted and annoyed her. It was a relief to know that her theory about just being a replica of Lady Seraphine hadn't been correct. She still had her own unique tastes. But she was still frustrated that the Demon Lord was just deciding she would be exactly like her previous incarnation.