՜՞՜5՜՞՜

Guilty to admit that I didn't concentrate much even though I was trying. I had a minute-long conversation with that guy and proceeded to think about it for hours.

I just couldn't stop thinking about how he was being slightly passive-aggressive. That thought was a good enough stimulus to keep me replaying the conversation in my head and analyzing every single detail - from his words to his body language.

Then I went ahead and started to ask myself a list of questions. Such as:

What could his name be? How old is he? He looked young and old at the same time. Is he single?

Why does that even matter...

His friends were nice to me. But did they think I'm annoying? Or was he just joking? He sounded kinda flirty.. just a little bit. But maybe that's how he is.

Does he always go to the balcony for a smoke break? Is it gonna be weird every time we meet there? The balcony is my favorite spot, I like going there. But will he think that I'm going there to see him? They just moved here, he doesn't know how often I go there normally. He shouldn't just assume things.

But what if he does?

I'll go there once I'm finished reading this chapter. Which is thirty more pages, should take me an hour and a half.

It took me 4 hours to finish. Which is too long, but at the same time, I'm glad it took me a while, cause now it's past midnight, and I can go for my balcony session (hopefully) without worrying about anyone being there.

Luckily, I was alone. Standing close to the railing and looking down at the passing cars, I was thinking about how tomorrow was the last day before my exam and how my progress was nonexistent. I'd panic about it any other day, but today I was just so tired that I wanted to be done with my exams as soon as possible, not really too worried about the results.

And because I woke up so early, I was starting to feel sleepy, which paired with the tiredness made me feel like a corpse with a heartbeat and a headache.

Just to be safe, I took a few steps back - away from the railing, in case I lose my balance and fall.

I was already thinking about going back inside when I heard a door being opened. Remaining composed, I did not turn my head to look. Instead, my eyes stayed focused on the street lights.

After the door closed, I heard light footsteps that gradually got louder. I knew it could be any of them three, but something was telling me it's that one.

"Done studying for today?"

I recognized the accent immediately and bit the corner of my mouth, regretting not going inside a few minutes earlier.

"Why, you wanna blast music?" I turned to look at him, unable to resist a smile when I saw that he was smiling too.

I was supposed to not smile. Damn it.

"I mean, I would if I wanted to," he smoothly put me in my place, accentuating that he wasn't waiting for my permission.

This is what I meant. It's not like he's being rude. He's just subtly hostile.

"I see," my attention turned back to the street lights. Yet I could still feel his eyes on me.

"So when's your exam?" He breaks the silence again, confusing me a little bit with the amount of interest he was showing in a random topic.

"Why?" I narrowed my eyes.

I mean.. I could've just answered, I guess.

He brought his shoulders up, the corners of his lips turning down a bit, "Just thought I'd ask."

"The day after tomorrow," technically, it was tomorrow, considering that it's past midnight. But I thought that would be confusing.

He nodded, and I leaned back on the railing. Maybe I should just go sleep.

"Why do you still have exams? It's June."

Uhm..

Was I wrong for being conflicted and confused? What did he expect after asking that? Did he want me to apologize for having exams in June?

"I'm so sorry, I'll make sure to finish before June next time."

For a second I thought that was too harsh. However, he giggled at my response.

"Wow, the attitude?" Even though he was laughing and his words sounded playful, he still pointed it out.

Maybe I was a little bit too harsh. Not that l felt bad, but still.

"I'm just a bit tired," I made up a random excuse cause it was easier than admitting that his tone was confusing the hell out of me and I couldn't understand if he was being nice, rude, playful, interested, ignorant or aggressive.

"Go sleep then," I'll admit that his smile's extremely contagious.

But also, why's he smiling like that?

I'm just overanalyzing things at this point.

"Yeah, I probably should," I slowly turned around and grabbed my phone, which I left on the balcony table, and fought back the urge to say thanks for letting me.

I also saw his hand reach his pocket.

Of course, the cigarettes.

At least he doesn't smoke when I'm here. I'm not sure if he actually waits for me to go so he can light up his cigarette or if it's just a coincidence, but I appreciate it nevertheless.

I threw a one last look at him, forcing myself once again to not comment on the cigarettes.

Instead, I pressed my lips together with a small smile, "Good night, neighbor."

"Good night- uhm," he paused, squinting as if he was trying to remember something. I read his expression instantly - before he could even continue, I knew that he was about to ask for my name. I still waited for him to ask though, "what's your name?"

And he did.

"Aria," I answered, excited to finally hear his name.

"Aria." He repeated after me. And not because he didn't hear it or wanted to clarify, but because it sounded different with his accent.

Almost sounded like he was correcting me on the pronunciation of my own name.

"And you're?" I even bothered to ask, cause it didn't look like he was gonna tell me anytime soon.

"I'm George," he does look like a George, I guess.

"George." And I don't know what's got into me, but I went as far as repeating his name, with an extra emphasis on the "r", cause the way he pronounced it, made the letter disappear.

"Aria," he somehow found the perfect comeback. This time, the pronunciation even more emphasized.

I could see him barely holding back a laugh behind that wide grin.

"George."

"Goodnight, Aria."

I shook my head, finally giving in and letting go of a giggle.

"Sleep tight, George."