2

It was almost eight in the morning by the time Max recovered her corvette from the abandoned parking lot and made her way back to the apartment above Gio's. So much for being back by sunrise. She scoffed at the thought as she keyed the door, sleepily dragging herself up the narrow staircase to the old loft.

The loft was bare when she finally got the door open, not a beautiful, Caribbean woman in sight. There was a note left on the bedside table that read:

Thanks for an amazing night.

-Cass

Max smiled at the memory of what transpired the night before. It would have been even better if she didn't have to crawl out of bed to rescue Armani, again. Her slender fingers swiped the screen of her iPhone phone as she sat on the edge of the bed. As much as she wanted to resume her sleep, it was Sunday—and Sundays were one of Max's busiest days.

Sunday was the day she restocked Gio's for the week, organize paperwork and bank slips for the Monday bank run. And more importantly, her mother's weekly, mandatory Sunday brunch. It didn't matter how far away she was, what she was doing or what she may have planned... Max could never miss family brunch.

The tall woman ran herself a bath, stripping out of her clothing as the tub filled. She stared at the reflection in the full-length mirror, eyes wondering over the scars that marked her for life. Two of them belonged to the operation she'd done years ago to remove her barely functional ovaries. Being born intersex came with its perks and its downfalls. To everyone else, it seemed like the best of both worlds. But for a long time, Max saw it as a curse. That was until it occurred to her that she had a dick, and she could fuck the world with it.

The woman climbed into the warm bath, using her favourite salts and scents to relax. Her mind was reeling, a feeling of impending doom hung over her like a dark cloud. She would have to answer for Armani's mistakes—again.

After a few minutes of soaking, Max washed herself clean and left the bathroom. She didn't have much clothes at the loft, most of it was for emergencies only. She slipped into black chino pants, and a simple silk, navy blue button up. By the time she'd made it down to the bar, Chan was already keying the door open.

"You're early." She raised a brow.

The tall man shrugged as he walked towards her. "Truck's early today." He nodded towards the back door.

They made their way out into the alley, the large truck beeping as it reversed into the loading area. The door of the truck shut with a thud and the driver walked over with a clipboard under his arm. Chan stalked off and began unloading the truck.

"Early one today boss, I've gotta make a run for the Don."

"What we got Raf?" Max asked the man who stood at least two inches below her.

"Ten kegs, fifteen cases of wine." He gave her a look. "Also brought the eight cases of water you asked for at the last minute—"

"What about my liquor?"

"You didn't let me finish Max." Raf rolled his eyes. Six boxes primo alcohol."

"Thank you. Great doing business with you, as per usual." She grabbed the pen and scribbled a signature onto the form.

Once they unloaded the truck, Chan and Max retreated into the bar, locking the door behind them. She started unboxing a case of wine, completely emptying the wooden box before removing the false bottom that hid the real goods.

"It should be five kilos in every case of wine."

Chan nodded, and repeated the action for all the other cases.