27

My eyes flutter a few times, struggling to stay open. I sat on the couch, my legs spread lazily in sweatpants, watching as Genevieve dressed herself. The shorter woman replaced her previously discarded clothing, her dark curls still damp from our shower.

"You look exhausted." She notes, tugging the sports bra over her shoulders.

"Yeah, I had a long night." I groaned, forcing myself to sit upright.

Once she was fully dressed, Genevieve occupied the seat beside me, her fingers laced in mine.

"I wanted to talk to you about something..."

My gaze settled on her leg that shook ever so slightly. I picked up on it being an anxious habit she had after our first few interactions. It made me wonder what caused her sudden nervousness.

"I'm listening," I gave her hand a soft squeeze.

Genevieve's lips puckered slightly, shoulders rigid and her eyes wouldn't meet mine.

"I—" My iphone's generic ringtone cut her off.

Before deciding to ignore the call, I glanced at the caller ID.

William Mason.

"This will only take a minute," I excused myself, putting some distance between us.

"This better be important." I frowned; the device pressed firmly against my ear.

"I think it's the most important phone call you'll have for the rest of this year." He declared. "I've stumbled on something—the missing piece of the puzzle in Mitchell's case, something that'll clear his name for sure. I'm not at liberty to discuss it at present, but I've sent some files over by courier."

"Is it good news at least?"

"I guess it depends on how you'll...receive the information." The man sighed into my ear. "Maximillien, you're gonna want to read what's in that envelope. Give me a call once you decide how we'll move forward, I gotta go."

William disconnected the call before I could utter a response. He was always a rude little shit.

"Everything okay?" Genevieve asks with a look of concern.

At this point, there was no use in hiding things from her. If we were both on the same page, then I needed to start being a bit more transparent. "I actually think it's time I let you know everything..."

Her brows furrowed, a deep frown replacing her concern. "You've been keeping things from me?"

"Not in a bad way," I quickly denied. "But...it's about your brother." I sighed, running a hand down my face. "I asked a friend of mine to look into his case—a lawyer by the name of—"

"William Mason?" she finished my sentence, her eyes widening in surprise.

"Yeah. He's convinced that your brother was framed and maybe didn't even have a fair trial."

The shorter woman held my arm, her legs seemingly going weak beneath her. I wrap my free arm around her waist in support as she tilted her head back to meet my gaze.

"There's a chance he'll be released?" she asked, a glimmer of hope glossed her teary brown orbs.

"There's a chance." I chose my words wisely. The last thing I wanted was to give her any concrete answers, considering I had no idea what the files would reveal once I read them.

Genevieve threw her arms over my shoulder, sobbing into my chest. "I can't believe you did this Max!" her words were muffled. "He would have been behind bars for a minimum of twenty-five years, his glory days would have gone by without him having the opportunity to live them."