Prologue

EMPIRE CITY

A knock was heard. And it echoed through the silent classic colonnade corridor.

The large brown modern oaken doors open to reveal a plump mid-20's aged man with a dark-beige beard surrounding his mouth, with a dark brown hair with a large bald spot on the top of his head. He was wearing a pair of pants and sweaters, and in his arms carries about a five-six months old infant, crying. In a hurry, once noticing the man shivering against the cold weather, the person ushers him inside. Another person came and handed him a blanket to warm up. The man sighs in relief once he's felt the heat, and immediately turns to his son.

Greg Universe, he is a man not necessarily knowledgeable about many of the situations he faces, he often tries to give the best advice he can that is based on his own experiences, which can have much value in their simplicity and his pragmatic view on things. Despite the boundaries on their species, he fell in love with a pink gem alien named Rose Quartz. She was the love of his life, until she got pregnant that they learned she and their child cannot exist together. One must sacrifice for the other to live. And so, Rose "gave up her physical form" to created their son, Steven, leaving behind only her pink pentagonal-faceted gem, now embedded on the child's navel.

Greg didn't have the time grieve, not when his son needed him the most. Since, Rose's friends left him to handle it alone, and to grieve on their own. He was left with no choice, and decided to come and ask someone he knows for help.

*

"My lady," A lady maid approached her Mistress at her office room. "Master Greg has come to visit and is now waiting in the visitor's drawing room."

The Mistress that's mentioned looked up from her computer to address her lady maid with a kind yet confused smile. "Gregory?" She put her things away and stood up. "Did he mention why he's here?"

"Nothing at all, my lady. But. . . he is with a child. Probably his." The maid replied.

"What?" She turned sharply to her maid at what she had said. As far as she knew, Greg never told her anything about having girlfriend or a wife. But then again, it was a year since they last seen each other or even talked; with her working as a company CEO and a US government asset at Empire city, and him living at Beach city.

"It is true, my lady." A tall, lean aging man with silver combed hair, came bursting in the room. He was dressed in a business suit, a light-colored shirt with white pairs of hand gloves and a tie. "But not to worry, I've done the initiative to call a private pediatrician for the child. Chef Martin is on his way to make Master Greg his lunch to eat and I've had Celine and Monique to buy some baby clothes and a few essentials."

The Mistress couldn't help but grin at her aging butler. "You really are the best, Harold!" She chuckled in amusement.

"I do try, my lady." The butler, Harold, replied back with a small twitch of his lips.

*

"Gregory?" The man in called, turned his sharply behind him and stood up. And not once has he let his son leave his arms. His eyes spotted his older sister (by a year), Avyanna DeMayo, standing in front of him along with the maid earlier and a butler.

"Hey, Avy," Greg greets, lamely. Actually, ashamed or just hesitant to face the woman he looked up to since he was young. "Um, sorry to butt in like this, but uh- oh, geez! What am I even doing?" While mumbling the last part to himself, Avyanna and her helpers exchange concern looks.

"Sorry to disturb you, I probably should go-" Greg was prepared to make a run for it at the door, ready to leave but was stopped by his sister's call.

"Gregory, Stay." Greg knew it wasn't a request but a command. Something he couldn't disobey when her voice sounds so stern, authoritative. A voice that makes you want to listen and obey. Avyanna just had that effect on him and on everyone else she meets.