Entry 22

"You've been there for quite a while, what were you praying for?"

We left the crowd after our prayers, and I couldn't help but ask Mahiru, who was walking beside me.

"Um, just praying for good health and protection. It's pretty ordinary. How about you, Kiyotaka?"

"Same like you," I replied. We walked side by side towards the place where people would gather to watch the fireworks display.

The path was slightly uphill, and I had to wait for Mahiru who was struggling to walk in her traditional clothing.

"It's really crowded here."

"You're right."

There was already a crowd of people standing and waiting for the fireworks display. In front of us was a view of a lake adorned with a small bridge and beautiful lanterns. They also seemed to be renting small pedal boats, and people could ride them while watching the fireworks. Most of the couples seemed to choose this.

In addition, there were other options available, such as sitting by the lake on well-maintained green grass or at other places where benches were provided.

I glanced at Mahiru, and she seemed worried about not being able to see the fireworks display due to the crowd of people.

I remembered something and whispered in her ear.

"Do you want to come with me?"

"Where?"

"There's a better spot to watch the fireworks. If you don't mind, I can show it to you."

Instantly, Mahiru's face lit up with joy and she smiled happily. "Really?"

I led her to a place slightly away from the crowd, next to a large tree on a hill. There was a staircase leading upwards.

"What's up there?"

"A shrine."

"A shrine?"

There was another shrine apart from the main one in this place. The festival area only covered the main shrine, and this shrine was not a popular choice to visit due to its higher location and distance.

As we walked, we heard something from behind the trees and bushes. The sound was gentle, sounding like splashing water. Was there a waterfall nearby?

Mahiru grabbed my arm and asked, "Kiyotaka, what's that sound?"

I couldn't say for certain. I had never heard this sound when I first discovered this place.

I gathered the courage to get closer and take a look, but Mahiru tugged at my sleeve and shook her head. I assured her that everything would be fine.

Passing through the bushes and trees, we emerged from the path leading to the stairs of the shrine, and headed into the uncertainty of the dark forest around us.

My hand reached the branch blocking my view and I shifted it. What I saw next left me speechless.

Mahiru, who was peeking from behind me, urged me to slightly lower myself so she could see what I saw.

It turned out that what we were worried about was not there. It wasn't a ghost or a wild animal. It was a scene we shouldn't have witnessed. Well, you can guess what it was up to this point, right?

 Well, you can guess what it was up to this point, right?