Chapter 5

I put on a new shirt and new pants, all black to hide the blood more than to blend in with the shadows. I kept my bloodied bandages on, hoping that it would still do some good.

Taking a breath, I put on a persona that everything was alright before slipping into the Crow Clubs window. Not caring that Dirty Hands was sitting at the desk.

"I knew you'd come back," he said. I walk up to the desk. He looks up from his papers. His eyes scanned my face before dropping to where he embedded his cane. "You look like hell."

I feel like it.

He goes back to his papers. Not caring that I had come back.

"I have a deal for you," I said, taking a seat across from him. My energy was leaving, but I tried my best not to show it. When he didn't say anything countering my deal or seating, I continued. "A Healer for your money."

He didn't need to think it over. "No."

"You had a sudden change in your need for money?"

Dirty Hands looks up at me, "I don't make deals with people I don't know." He leans forward. "And there's the simplicity in the fact you don't have my money."

My hold on things was slipping. My limited knowledge on this man wasn't helping much. All I knew was he loved money and no one dared cross him. There was one thing left I could try, and hope it worked.

"No..." I admit. "But I could get you more."

Dirty Hands stood, grabbing his cane to help keep him balanced. I kept a calm expression, even though my heart picked up speed. 

He walks behind me. I wasn't sure how close he was. I didn't dare turn around to see.

"How much do you value your life?" he asks.

What does that have to do with money? Did one of the neighboring Clubs get smart and put a reward out for my capture? Is this how he gets his revenge? Gets his money back?

"More than you can imagine," I answered.

It was silent for a moment. "I have a different deal."

Finally, I turn around. He stood a couple feet away. His attention intently on me.

"And what do you have in mind?" I ask.

"In exchange for a Healer, you come and work for me."

I stand, keeping a hand on the chair for support. "Work for you?"

"As my eyes and ears."

What?

"You already have people to do that," I point out. Confusion clouding my mind.

"And clearly they're disposable if I'm asking you to take their place."

My mind was screaming for me to turn the deal down, but the blood loss was telling me I didn't have a choice. I didn't know the city yet, not the way the man before me does. He can get me the help I need, all in exchange for work.

But if his old "eyes and ears" were disposable to him, what's stopping him from tossing me to the same fate? Throwing me out the moment he gets what he wants from me.

I would have to worry about that later.

"And you'd get me a Healer?" I clarified. He nods. "Fine. I'll work for you."

He walked towards me until he was standing in front of me. Our eyes focused on each other.

He holds out his gloved hand to me. "The deals the deal." I shake it, but he doesn't let go. "Do you have a name?"

I guess giving it to him wouldn't be bad. Seeing he was now my boss.

"Lyra."

He lets go of my hand, walking to his desk. I watch as he grabs a small piece of paper. He turns towards me, handing the paper to me.

"Tell them Kaz Brekker sent you," he said.

On the paper, the words Sparrow Led were written in neat handwriting. I give Kaz Brekker a tight nod, heading back to the window.

"I'll see you tomorrow, Lyra," he called. "And wear the hood you bought in the square. We can't have you seen because of your bloody red hair."