Chapter 33

The week went by before I could stop to catch my breath. I've been setting more alarms than ever. Instead of them being surrounded purely by my mausoleum, I pull them around the whole cemetery. Some were smoke bombs, others were there to tie up any intruders.

All of them are ready to notify me with plenty of time.

The only solace I could find was replaying old memories. They hurt, but it was better than worrying I was going to die at any moment. Or replaying my last words with Kaz.

I was ten again. My brothers are sitting in the common area. Our father went to town to pick up some things for dinner that he forgot on his way home.

We were trying our best to entertain ourselves. I suggested hide and seek.

"We are not doing hide and seek," Harshaw complains. "You always find a way to win."

"Stop complaining that your large head doesn't fit anywhere," Blaze bites back.

I couldn't help but laugh. Even after Harshaw gave me a stern glare. I wasn't scared of him.

"Lyra wants to play it and I don't see you giving us better options."

"We could play lightning," Harshaw says.

"We played that yesterday," I state. "There are other games than that."

"We're playing hide and seek," Blaze demands.

And we did. I, of course, was the last one to be found. Hiding behind the kitchen cabinet is a great place. My brothers never thought I'd be able to squeeze behind there, so they didn't bother checking.

Only when dad came home did I come out. My brothers complained that I was cheating. But I politely told them that they never really discussed any rules, so I was well within my rights.

I miss the simplicity of the past. When I didn't have to worry about being hunted down and murdered. When I still had a family to come home to, to play with when we had nothing else to do.

What I would give to have one more moment with them all. As if nothing in our lives had changed. It could be as simple as cleaning the house or cooking dinner. Anything...

Only to have reality crashing back to me when I hear one of the cement slabs break.