Chapter 11

We make our way back to the Crow Club in silence. The memory of the fire haunting me as we walked. Maybe Kaz tried to say something, but I didn't hear him. Not sure what he would want to talk about either way.

I follow Kaz up the stairs to his office. The Club below is starting the clean up process. Kicking out the drunks and counting their winnings for the night.

Kaz waits for me to enter the room before closing the door. I felt his stare on me and I didn't like it.

"What did we get?" I ask.

Kaz walks to his safe hiding behind the painting. "An emerald."

My eyebrows furrow. "What do you need an emerald for?"

Kaz pulls the painting off the wall, putting in the safes code. "The King of Ravka hired us. He's paying double then the Black Market."

"Which is the only reason you're giving it to him?"

Kaz puts an oversized emerald into the safe. He stares at the jewel a little longer before closing the door and replacing the painting.

Just watching him putting the painting back in its original place, it occurred to me that there was probably a better way to hide the safe. Maybe put the painting on hinges?

He turns to me. "One thing you should know, Lyra, I always sell to the highest bidder."

I shrug my shoulders. "Nothing wrong with that."

Money is a great motivator. It's the only thing that keeps people alive. Without it, they would die of starvation, of trying to survive in the elements, of disease.

"What happened back there?" Kaz asks.

I look at him. His eyes darted away the moment I looked into them. Just from his quick reaction, I knew what he was talking about. But I didn't want to talk about it.

"I saved your life?" I tried. Hoping he would get the clue to let it go.

He didn't.

"With the fire," he pushed. "One moment you're enjoying the blaze then you can't stand it."

Involuntary, the image of the boys melting flesh flashes through my mind. The smell of his burning skin stuck in my nose. His hair was burning away.

I couldn't watch that again. Closing my eyes, I take a steadying breath. Telling myself that when I open them again, the images will be gone and I won't think of them again.

Kaz stares at me, watching me with interest. As if I was a criminal or riddle he had to solve in order to get to the vault of gold.

"You'd be surprised what people do in order to survive," I whisper. Low enough I wasn't sure he heard me. "Goodnight, Kaz."