2. Catalyst

A catalyst is meant to destroy the normal world in which the character used to live. Their daily routine, their normal habits, even their role might be changed because of it. Even for someone who is in the background...

》》--------------------<<◇>>--------------------《《

As if time itself had stopped, Anya just stood by the doorframe and stared at the stranger who stared right back with the same intensity. She couldn't break eye contact for some reason. Most likely out of curiosity.

In the other rooms she checked, she would either find groups of friends chatting or couples doing things she wished she'd unsee. So walking into a room with just one guy was a little refreshing. But that definitely wasn't her main reason for staring.

Sitting on the bed, was a pale stranger that seemed to have stepped right out of an edgy music video. The moonlight being the only source of light in the dark room, was streaming through the large window behind him, almost illuminating his unusual, mint-green hair. In contrast, it cast a dark shadow over his face making it hard to see him clearly.

He was already dressed in a black, biker jacket with a dragon pattern snaking up the arms and wore black jeans to complete his whole angsty look. But his sharp and tired eyes stood out to her the most. They gave nothing of what he was thinking away but just held her's with an intense but empty expression. Despite all the danger signs in front of her, it didn't make her scared. Just curious to know why he seemed so familiar to her.

The stranger leaned back on his hands, getting bored of the staring game, and spoke in a disinterested tone, "So... Are you just going to stand there with the door open? You're kind of letting in a draft."

The sudden sound of his low voice finally knocked her out of her daze. "H-huh?!" She panicked. She stood frozen in place, desperately trying to will her body to move.

Seeing how frantic she got, the stranger sat up and calmly asked, "You okay over there?" Anya's head snapped to face him. "I don't think it's too hard to close a door," he said plainly.

Still a little panicked, Anya quickly got herself together. "O-Oh! Yes, I'm sorry! I'll close it!"

In a hurry, the flustered Anya spun around and shut the door in an attempt to leave. She breathed a sigh of relief. That was so awkward! Why did I stare for so long? After a moment of silence, a little chuckle cut through the silence followed by an amused, "I guess you're staying then...?"

Anya jumped and whipped her head around to see the stranger once again. Confused at first, once realization finally hit her, she cringed at her actions. The guy didn't help the embarrassment either as he snickered from across the room.

"I don't think I've met anyone who forgets to leave the room before closing the door. Are you that wasted?" he asked genuinely curious.

"N-No! I'm just... an idiot," poor Anya held her head in her palm, getting annoyed with herself. "I'll just get going-"

As she turned around, about to 'actually' leave, the mint-haired stranger called out, "I just said to close the door. You don't have to leave, you know."

She immediately stopped in her tracks and turned back to him with hopeful eyes. "W-what? You... don't mind me staying?"

He grew quiet and looked at her calculatingly. "I usually like to be alone..." he admitted, "But the only reason you would be looking for a room, is if you're looking to be alone too."

She was still surprised so he added, "If not, then you're probably looking for a bathroom to throw up in. Just go back. Take a right-"

"W-wait!" Anya stopped him before more misunderstandings happened. "...Can I stay? I-if you don't mind."