A deadly prelude

[𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐤 𝐛𝐞𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐨𝐧𝐬𝐞𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐦𝐮𝐫𝐝𝐞𝐫𝐬]

Today marked a momentous occasion, a significant day within the Mikaelson family. The youngest member, on the cusp of her eighteenth birthday, stood at the threshold of a new chapter in her life. The family, determined to commemorate this milestone with grandeur, refused to let the day slip by uncelebrated. A lavish party had been meticulously planned,  However, amidst the anticipation, a subtle undercurrent of reluctance tinged the air as Hope, the center of attention, grappled with her own reservations.

The family members, dressed in their finest attire, gather in small groups, engaged in animated conversations. Laughter and joy reverberate through the air,

Klaus stood in a dimly lit corner, his eyes fixed on Hayley as she burst into laughter at whatever words Elijah had whispered into her ear. Her hand delicately resting on his arm, their smiles lighting up the room.
He averts his gaze as Hayley's eyes briefly meet his. Bringing the glass to his lips, tilting it back in one swift motion, downing the contents in a single gulp.

Hope, however, opted to find solace within the confines of the family's magnificent library, surrounded by a myriad of books that stood as both a refuge and a sanctuary. It was in the midst of grand social gatherings where she often found herself overwhelmed by a sheer sense of anxiety, prompting her to seek solace among the written words.

She sifts through the pages of an old tome, her eyes widening as she stumbles upon a faded illustration of an intricate rune.

Suddenly, the library doors creak open, and Elijah enters. He spots Hope engrossed in the book, a faint smile tugging at the corner of his lips.

Elijah (softly):
"I see you've found something of interest."

Hope quickly closes the book, slightly startled by Elijah's presence. She looks up at him,

Hope ,(pointing to the rune illustration):
"Do you have any idea what this might mean? The only other time I've seen it was at the Salvatore boarding school's library, all i know is that it has something to do with dark magic"

Elijah's gaze fixes on the illustration, recognition flickering in his eyes.

"It purportedly assumes the semblance of an ancient rune, a powerful sigil used by our ancestors. It represents a connection to our lineage, a thread that ties us to our past"

"And what did our ancestors use it for? "

Elijah's voice carries a mixture of nostalgia and wisdom as he leans against a nearby bookshelf

"The rune was believed to possess a unique power, a mark of protection used during times of great peril. Our ancestors would carve it onto their bodies or inscribe it onto objects to invoke its power.
it was thought to have faded away with the passage of centuries"

She nods, lost in a labyrinth of her own thoughts

"Everyone is awaiting your presence downstairs. It would be considered impolite to keep them waiting," Elijah stated, his hand extended towards her. Reluctantly, Hope accepted his hand, yet not before casting one final glance at the book resting upon the floor.

She noticed him once again making his way towards the bar, and with a deep sigh, she positioned herself in front of him.

"Care for a dance?"

He simply shrugged, his demeanor guarded.
"I must say, I'm rather surprised by your inquiry, especially with Elijah present in the room," he stated, his words carrying a tinge of skepticism.