Chapter Six - How to lose a guy in Ten days

Chapter Six - How to lose a guy in ten days.

'28th of February, beginning of 2002, Starbucks.

The overwhelming scent of Arabica coffee beans and cream was inviting to Emily and I. Emily, who was blowing at her syrup flavoured hot chocolate, was sat next to me. I had ordered a strawberry and cream Frappuccino and was still waiting for it, so in the meanwhile Emily and I were casually sitting in Starbucks across from two seventeen year old boys who were now supposedly our boyfriends; even though Adam hadn't asked me out yet, and I wasn't entirely mentally attracted to him.

Adam Sun, an average sized, pale boy with black curly hair and black tunnel-like eyes was across from me, and his best friend, Paul Stewart - an aggressive delinquent who somehow mysteriously managed to charm Emily - were slouching on two chairs sipping at their smoothies. Paul, who was slightly too immature for my liking, sipped at his straw and after biting down on the tip of it, he flicked the remains of his saliva across Adam's face. Adam, in retaliation, dipped his finger into his smoothie and smeared it across Paul's cheek.

Emily and I just watched and watched, along with some customers too, until their smoothies were completely gone and they were soaked in it, gasping like runners.

"Are you two quite finished, now?" I asked, theatrically wiping away a droplet of smoothie from my cheek and tasting it. "Mm, that's nice... Wish I had mine, ahem!" I pouted to Adam, who grunting, unwillingly rose up from his chair and started slapping his hands against the counter of Starbucks, demanding for my Frappuccino. Literally three seconds later, my Frappuccino was placed afore me.

"Sorry about your wait," the pissed off waiter muttered before rushing off behind the counter. Adam, pleased, sat down with a loud thump.

"So, this film. Whatisname?"

"Whazza-who?"

"Just you be a good girl and keep quiet, Addy, ya stupid little -"

"How to lose a guy in Ten days. Hm, sounds very appealing," Emily smirked.

"Don't you get any ideas, Emmy!"

"Why not, Paaaaaaula?" Emily moved forward, mocking her boyfriend Paul Stewart. She had known him for just over eight years now, and so she was the only one Paul ever tolerated calling him Paula.

"'Cause you'll never be able to lose me, capische?"

"I'd be able to lose you in three days maximum, baby!" Emily stood up, putting down her empty cup. Adam and I rolled our eyes and walked in front. I could still hear Emily and Paul laughing like mad, teasing each other and kissing whilst I drank my frappichino.

"I swear to God Emily, you'll never get rid of me... Not as long as I'm alive that is!"

Though Emily thought his words were meant as a joke, I had a feeling that he was deadly serious. As Paul and Emily trotted forwards to the cinema, hand in hand, I couldn't help but imagine the pain she was going through by putting up the pretence of her being in love with Paul, when all the while she was unconditionally in love with her teacher. Just like me with Adam. Oh how I wished I could talk to Emily about it, because she understood it all. It made sense to her, too. She was going through the same thing. But, being on double-dates like these were hiding my true feelings, and that was helping me.

Pretending that I liked Adam, who was generally a lovely yet immature guy, made me forget about Dr. Andre - who was now always so happy-go-lucky ever since he became a father twelve weeks ago.