thirty-six | no more lies

〰⋅〰⋅〰

〰⋅〰⋅〰

Rain pattered off the stucco of the chateau's roof, the sky a darkened gray color. Kori had checked the weather app on her phone a little over twenty minutes ago and it was supposed to clear up soon. Until then, though, she was stuck with shit weather and an even shittier feeling brewing in the bottom of her stomach.

John B had gone down to the sheriff's station today. That meant Ward was going down and as happy as she was, she couldn't help but feel for Sarah. She knew what it was like to get dealt shit cards in the parental category, especially when it came to fathers.

And even though Luke Maybank and Ward Cameron couldn't be more different, she still understood what it was like to lose someone who couldn't give a shit about how their actions affect others.

In simpler terms, it sucked. Everything about it sucked and she understood. That's why she and Kie were outside, wordlessly comforting Sarah while JJ, John B, and Pope were inside celebrating. And even from outside, they could still hear them. Granted, the window was open, but still. Their level of tact was basically nonexistent.

"Ladies and gentlemen, Ward Cameron, king of the Kooks, is going to jail!" JJ exclaimed, bursts of laughter following his announcement.

Kori took one look at Sarah, stood up, and slammed the window shut— all forms of gloating abruptly cutting out. She dropped back down into her chair, eyes shifting to the other blonde. "Look, I'm pretty much ecstatic that Ward is finally getting what he deserves, but that doesn't mean it doesn't suck. So I'm sorry for them. They're idiots."

Kie pulled her eyes from Kori, meeting Sarah's torn gaze. She still hadn't said anything, which made her wonder. "Do you regret it?"

"No. Kori's right. He deserves it, all of it." Sarah responded, pushing a hand through her hair.

"He's your dad. I get it. I'm sure it sucks to be in the middle."

Kori swallowed hard before speaking. "And I know I'm, like, the last person anyone would ever wanna talk to, but I know a thing or two about having a dad in jail. We're both here for you, Sarah."

She sent them a small smile as her phone began ringing. "Thanks, guys." Her gaze dropped down to the device in her hands, Topper's contact ID showing on the screen. "Sorry."

"Yeah." Kie nodded as she stood up, answering it. Then she turned to Kori, dark eyes full of curiosity.

"What?"

"I didn't say anything."

Kori raised her brow. "But you want to. So go ahead. Ask."

Kie dropped eye contact with her, fidgeting with the strings on her shorts momentarily. "Have you talked to J yet?"