thirty-seven | ghost of you

〰⋅〰⋅〰

〰⋅〰⋅〰

Tears welled in each of the Cameron children's eyes as they stared down at the image of their father on the laptop. Before killing himself, he'd left them a video— one that was playing right now. Logan hated his dad, but the fact that he'd ended his own life instead of owning up to his mistakes hurt him. It hurt him so damn bad that he wanted to scream.

And as much as he hated him, Ward was still his dad. He was still the person who'd played catch with him as a kid. The person who'd been there for him on all of his birthdays. The person who'd raised him.

He looked away, forcing the lump in his throat back down at the sound of his father's voice. He sat in between Wheezie and Rose, Sarah just on the other side of their little sister. But Rafe? He stood behind them, glass of scotch in hand. And Logan wanted him dead. He'd tried to kill Sarah; that wasn't something he took lightly.

"I think, in the end," Ward continued, nodding his head through the screen. "It was my fear of going back, of losing everything I have, that made me lose sight of everything I am...everything I wanted to be."

There was a pause.

"I killed Big John Routledge."

Logan closed his eyes, letting the darkness virtually consume him.

"I murdered Sheriff Peterkin."

Liar.

"I shot Gavin Barnstead." Ward wavered, swallowing hard. "I know there's nothing I can do to ease the pain I've caused. Many will say I took the easy way out. But I leave this world with the terrible pain of knowing that I leave behind my family, shattered by grief, broken by my sins. I don't expect you to forgive me for leaving this way. I just pray you understand that...I can't go on ruining your lives anymore. This had to end."

Logan shook his head, the tears finally escaping. He glanced over at his baby sister, gaze softening at the sight of her. Her elbows rested on the table, head lying on top of them as her own tears streamed down her face.

Ward had done that.

"To all of you, I leave my estate, uh, to be divided equally and I leave a love deeper than I could ever express. Take care of each other." He concluded, the video finally coming to a close.

As Rafe lifted his drink to his lips, Sarah slammed the laptop shut and Logan rubbed Wheezie's back. It lasted less than three seconds though. Without another thought, she got up, leaving the room. And Logan just sat there, unable to believe his dad actually loved them.

Because if that were true, he wouldn't have done what he did.

Logan couldn't wait a moment longer. He'd been waiting far too long, unable to push down his grief long enough to confront him. But enough was enough. Rafe had drowned Sarah. He'd almost killed his big sister— the one person who'd ever truly seen him for him.