Chapter 36: The Hidden Bell in the Nine Palace Eight Trigrams Formation

In the previous moment, Gu Fuyou was still unraveling the illusionary technique on the path leading to the inner palace, but in the next moment, she disappeared without a trace.

Zhong Michu furrowed her brow and looked around. Not only was Gu Fuyou missing, but even Gu Huaiyou and the other two were nowhere to be found.

Under normal circumstances, Zhong Michu would immediately sense something strange and become alert.

However, at this moment, her mind was blank, unable to muster any thoughts.

She took a step forward, and lush greenery surrounded her. The sky was filled with white clouds, and there were forests of elm trees on the left and emerald pools on the right.

It was a warm and tranquil mountain location.

Zhong Michu scratched her forehead and felt something hard. She walked to the edge of the pool and saw her reflection in the water.

The water reflected a small figure, delicately carved from jade, dressed in a red silk gown embroidered with golden thread. Its watery eyes stared back, seemingly innocent and bewildered.

Zhong Michu stared in astonishment as she saw her reflection in the water, realizing that she had grown a pair of horns on her forehead.

She grabbed the horns with her little hands, pulling and twisting them.

"Um," she exerted more force, feeling a slight pain.

Confused and at a loss, she lifted her foot and ran up the mountain, intending to find someone to ask her master about it.

She moved swiftly through the forest, despite her small size.

Before long, she returned to the outside of Hechenxuan and just as she reached the gate, she saw a figure in green.

Her eyes brightened, and she exclaimed, "Mother!"

Yunran Xuanzun was walking out and stood on the stone path in the courtyard. Upon hearing the voice, she turned to look, and her body trembled.

Zhong Michu didn't notice and happily ran over.

She lived on Gushen Peak, where there were only her two elder sisters who took care of her daily needs.

Yunran Xuanzun did not live with her, and besides her master who came to teach every day, there was no one else on the mountain.

Yunran Xuanzun occasionally visited, but the visits were infrequent and brief.

Zhong Michu was always happy to see her, even though Yunran Xuanzun always had a cold expression.

Zhong Michu ran towards her, wanting to hold the hand hanging by her side.

Yunran Xuanzun suddenly reacted as if something unbearable had touched her.

She reacted strongly and pushed Zhong Michu away, saying, "Get away!"

Zhong Michu stumbled and couldn't regain her balance, falling to the ground. She didn't understand why Yunran Xuanzun suddenly pushed her away and looked up at her in confusion.

Yunran Xuanzun stared at her, trembling all over.

Zhong Michu called out softly, "Mother..."

"Don't call me mother!" Yunran Xuanzun's gaze gradually changed from shock to resentment and anger.

Yunran Xuanzun had never been so furious before.

Zhong Michu didn't know what had angered her, but when she saw Yunran Xuanzun's eyes, she felt an indescribable fear.