Chapter 7-Damon

With my heart breaking more by the minute, I turn and leave her. She said them, she said the magic words that broke all of my determination. 'You're forcing me to endure it, hoping it gets strong enough that I won't be able to resist.' She felt exactly what I worried she would from the very beginning. Forced. How was I any better than the fuckers who raped her if I continued to force this bond on her?

I would have to wait until after the battle to accept her rejection, we couldn't be weakened, especially not her. Her and Amara were the key to this war, I did not care if I died, but they could not. Silas would be coming any day now, Alpha Roman's wolves confirmed he was gathering his troops and was heading to us.

I look at the sky, a new moon. This would be the best time to attack, vampires are strongest on new moons. With the minimal light in the sky, the other species would be at a huge disadvantage. They knew it too, everyone I encountered was on edge tonight-well everyone except my exhausted mate who probably fell back into unconsciousness the second I walked away.

My heart constricts as I realize what an amazing woman I'm losing, never have I ever seen anyone fight so impressively. Not a single warrior got the upper hand on her, not even after she was visibly tired. Even the wolves stood with their mouths hanging open. Aylin and her family always gathered a crowd with their training, but this was different. She used no magic, only her own skill and endurance.

I enter the packhouse, slamming the door shut a little harder than I meant to. Thankfully other than myself and Samirah, the only people who reside here are the Alpha's personnel and family, along with Amara's, so there's no one in the hall to notice. I breathe a sigh of relief at the emptiness I find, the pack house was bursting at the seams earlier.

It was a sight to see today, demons, vampires, fae, and wolves all mingled. It was the first time I've ever seen so many different species gathered, peacefully at that. It was beyond peace actually, I had watched several become friends, and even watched someone find their mate. The world was already changing, species never intermingled like that. The only two who coexisted were the wolves and witches.

"You good?" I hear Samirah call at me from where she's sitting on the couch

I jump, I hadn't even noticed her as I passed through the living room, too lost in my own thoughts.

"Yeah. Just heading to bed" I tell her

She raises a brow at me, knowing I'm bothered by something. She didn't need to listen to me complain, as far as I was concerned there was nothing to talk about anyways. I would accept her rejection and then that story was over. I needed to concentrate on finishing what has been in the makings for over a century.

"Don't lose sight of why we're here, what's at stake" she warns me

I nod in response "I know, I'm not. I haven't forgotten"

She looks at me for a long moment

"You sure you're okay?" she asks again to which I nod

"Yeah, get your nose out of your smut book and get some sleep. We'll need the rest" I tell her, forcing a lighthearted tone into my words and start walking up the stairs to my room.

I stop in my tracks when I hear a door close and immediately Aylin's scent fills the entire room. Its gotten stronger over the last three days, thanks to the bond trying to force us together. And also making it a million times fucking harder to keep my hands off her, especially when I found her laying there in only her sports bra and shorts. I must have a willpower of steel for all the effort it took to not rake my eyes over her perfect body.

That power breaks as soon as she walks into the room, a hand running through her hair that was wet from the rain, her toned abdomen on display, and her thick thighs eating up the shorts she was wearing. I rip my eyes away, not wanting to disrespect her just as her head shoots up and her eyes snap to me. She stiffens, her eyes widening and her lips parting like she genuinely didn't expect to see me here.