The Concept

I literally cut and paste the post form my Tumblr:

      I've thinking about a Jegulily (Lily/James/Jegulus) A/B/O AU with spy Regulus (and maybe the Malfoys too) where pretty much everyone lives and Harry has lots of siblings, maybe more then Ron, and a few cousins from wolfstar.  

      I don't mind A/B/O fics. Sometimes, I seek 'em out. I don't like writing people like animals (which contradicts liking to read it). I don't really like the idea that people are unable to control themselves in heat/rut, the dismissal of Betas in general and the reliance on the smells and pheromones. But I do like the idea of nesting, and denning (Alpha nesting), as well as Mpreg and sometimes bonding bites depending on how it's written. I can write pregnant trans/gender-queer masculine-presenting men but I dislike glossing over the difficult emotional aspects of it. So, sometimes I just want to write relatively uncomplicated proud pregnant men. Yet, I like a general understanding of how the fictional universe works. So unexplained male 'carriers' doesn't satisfy me. The benefits of fanfic writing is the world is pre-set up and you can adjust to your own desires.

      I'd probably write the A/B/O aspect as an outdated thing found only in wizards. For convenience sake, that would put presentation around age 16-19 (late/end of puberty). There would be easily accessible potion suppressants to avoid strong and/or confusing scents and outdated instincts to make a pack and reproduce (vv common like no-scent workplaces). Bonding bites will die/not be completed if not desired by both/all mates and heats/ruts are mild (so mild people can usually function like girls on their period) until bonded (at which point the secondary gender within recognizes its security with (a) mate(s)) which can still be easily controlled and suppressed with medicines/potions. Like the 50's housewife being unemployed and a housekeeper, being unemployed and off suppressants is basically social code for 'my mate makes enough so I don't have to work and can be kept bare foot & pregnant in the house'. It's considered all of an entitlement and a privilege and a modernly outdated ideal. Sirius and Regulus would both be omegas and Blacks are known for producing alphas. Lily would likely be an Alpha and James a beta (a beta more on the alpha side when not around his alpha mate). Remus would be Sirius' alpha. Peter would be a beta (more on the omega side).

      Regulus status as spy was kept need-to-know so few of the order knew. None of the marauders knew until Regulus save them from Peter and Voldemort. Not that anyone got to process or thank or yell at him before he went on a mission to receive the locket horcrux which he survives because both Dumbledore and Krecher were with him.

      Things began to settle down after the war with Voldemort. Jily has another baby maybe. I imagine a large post-war generation living in economic prosperity like the real-world baby boom following the second world war. People would be lulled into a sense of security before Voldemort's return and the second wizarding war. I'm thinking it would be a semi-canon compliant/canon divergence AU but to be entirely honest, between work, school, social obligations and other tasks, I likely won't have the time to flush it out and actually write a fanfiction. Yet, the idea continues to form in my head so I've decided to share it with y'all.

      So, the first 10 years of Harry's life would be a huge divergence from canon and Harry himself would end up OOC compared to canon Harry. James and Sirius would support Slytherin!Harry (probably while making jokes and stuff but ultimately supportive). If Harry was raised by Regulus, which in this AU he is raised by Jegulily, he'd be confident about being a Slytherin. Either way, I'm 50/50 for Gryffindor or Slytherin Harry.

      I have this funny image of Regulus starting out as the sitter for the Potter kid(s) (It also serves as a reason for the Black brothers to be near each other and rebuild their relationship. Sirius would likely be hurt that Regulus didn't tell him he was a spy, letting him think the worst things, and it would likely present as anger.) It would take a while after they started for Regulus to realize he is being dated by the Potters who, knowing the Blacks are 'a bit' old fashioned, would insist on a proper courting before bedding and mating.

      I also imagine, in this AU, Draco would have a better chance to be good. Either because his parents were spies in an attempt to protect him from the life he'd had in canon or because Harry would be different and Sirius, the original Black sheep, wouldn't be in prison so he may have been presented an out to escape his parents if they were death eaters. He may not be good, but he'd have a better chance to be. Or to figure it out sooner.

      This is all I could type up at this moment and it covers the gist. Now either this idea will finally leave me alone or I've opened up a can of worms. If I expand in an additional post, it didn't go away. We'll see.