Post #5

The War & Peter's POV on the Attack in Godric's Hollow

⦁     When Regulus became a double agent, he did not become a member of the order. He simply leaked information to Dumbledore. Only the Malfoys are part of the original order and that only became known to the other order members after Voldemort's downfall.

⦁     Regulus and Dumbledore were working together on the horcrux angle separate of the order. Dumbledore wanted to mention horcruxes to as few people as possible.

⦁     In spring of 1980, Death eaters were officially recognized by the ministry. Investigations, identifications and arrests began. (Moody made a name for himself for arresting many death eaters.) An edict was issued giving aurors full permission to fight to kill and to use unforgivables. This added to the fear rather than help much. (In cannon, giants were the primary focus at first. Entire tribes were wiped out using the killing curse. The remainder went into hiding. They were allied with Voldemort.)

⦁     The Potters went into hiding in Godric's Hollow under a fidelius charm on October 20. The Potters wanted Sirius to be their secret keeper because he was so close to them and Harry's godfather. Sirius thought it was perfectly too obvious and suggested Peter, who no one would suspect. No one knew, not Dumbledore nor Lupin. It was need-to-know.

⦁     Voldemort tried to recruit Lily Evans and James Potter as well as Sirius Black, Remus Lupin and Peter Pettigrew the summer after they graduated. Voldemort was willing to overlook Lily's muggleborn status because of her abilities as a witch, likely her smarts paired with potion and charms skill. They all refused to join his cause. (The first of at least three times the Potters defied Voldemort)

⦁     Lily and James got married soon after, at age 18.

⦁     Remus and Sirius got engaged in Hogwarts, near the end of the year. Their friends knew and where excited but it died down a bit once it became apparent they would have a long engagement.

⦁     The newly married Potters, Sirius, Remus and Peter joined Dumbledore's order.

⦁     Remus began taking undercover missions among Voldemort's werewolf allies. Most full moons were spent with strangers 99% of the time.

⦁     In canon, Peter retrieved Voldemort's wand after the attack in Godric's Hollow. In my AU, he didn't think to care about the wand.

⦁     He was laying low near the Potters to see how it played out. When he saw a small explosion followed by a larger one which took out a chuck of the upper house, Peter assumed Voldemort killed the Potters and waited for Sirius to arrive to pin the blame.

⦁     Sirius never showed, but the Malfoys did. They confronted Peter (who was confused bc he thought they were death eaters but went on with his act bc ofc he wasn't the only double agent, ofc Dumbledore had one) and Peter shouted about how the Blacks were in allegiance with Blacks, the blast which killed 12 muggles 'and Peter' except the plan didn't work.

⦁     The Potter confessed they swapped secret keepers. Sirius backed the Potters. The Malfoys revealed the blast's origins.

⦁     Peter was arrested around midnight, found in human form but he got away as a rat. The rest of the marauders+Lily played dumb on the animagus thing like Peter being a rat was a surprise in every way.

⦁     Peter lived as a rat, not risking his true human form, for years.

The General Immediate Aftermath