20. Huston We Have a Problem

Bruce Wayne, A.K.A Batman, is the World's Greatest Detective.

This is what he does when he's not brooding.

But he definitely brooding right now.

******************************************************************

"What happened?" Bruce asked over the coms, the cold wind continuing to push his cape out behind him.

"It doesn't look good," Dick answered truthfully, and he could hear the stark difference in his tone from his usual goofy smile. Dick gave him the run down on Jane's injuries and how it supposedly happened. "I don't think she's just in physical pain, there was this photo on the shelf with a group of friends and she looked so happy - I think something happened to them."

After a long, heavy silence he said, "I know."

There was another long pause, and the cold night air didn't do anything to calm Bruce, only set him further on edge.

"Look," Dick said carefully, "It might be none of my business, but I want you to know I'm for this thing. Tim is too."

"Thing?" Bruce asked, not liking where this conversation was headed.

"You and Jane. Brucejane? Anyway, I think she's good for you. And you're good for her. She makes you... less intense?" Dick's voice rose in pitch at the end, making it sound like a question. "But if you're serious about her, you're going to have to tell her everything. Otherwise it won't work."

"You're right."

"I am?"

"It's none of your business."

Dick sighed. Bruce's hand went instinctively to the bridge of his nose.

"What I'm saying is, I gave her that pager in case something happens." Then Dick hung up, leaving Bruce alone with his thoughts.

Jane had been with them just under six months, and yet she seemed so familiar with everyone. He often felt himself wanting to spend more time around her, though there wasn't much time when they weren't at work.

An unfamiliar warmth bloomed in his chest, and he put it down to concern. She wasn't stupid and hadn't got hurt on accident, but to think she'd dabbled in heroics made him wonder... And the girl she'd spent the night with, not many in Gotham put themselves out there to help strangers. His thoughts went back to when she mentioned the assassin called the Winter Soldier and the vigilante in Hell's Kitchen - how much experience did Jane have dealing with the like.

He let the thought linger.

Meme of the day