Chapter Nine

This chapter contains themes of death.

This was odd. Kanda had finished packing her things at her work station as soon as her work day ended, then texted Fiona of her departure, yet received no reply. She'd gotten to the elevator and waited for around ten minutes, then proceeded to text her once more and again received no answer. Just what the hell was going on? Now she stood in the parking place she knew was assigned to Fiona, yet found no Thunderbird convertible. Just an empty space.

This wasn't like Fiona at all and completely swamped within her thoughts, Kanda startled as she heard a car honking behind herself. She spun around with a chest brimming with hope and desire only to find Maya sitting in her sedan nearby. As she beckoned her over, Kanda eyed the surrounding area and didn't spot a single sign of Fiona, feeling her heart sink from her chest to the paved ground underfoot.

"Hey, you." Maya said as she arrived beside her car and leaned down along the open passenger's side window. "You okay, Kanda?"

"Yeah, I was just looking for someone who I think left without me..." Finally bringing herself to glance at her ex, she found clear eyes, a calm demeanor and steady hands along her steering wheel. She looked ten time better than their last encounter and it appeared as though her AA meetings may have been doing the trick. Her curiosity outweighing her suppression, she finally added, "You look like you're doing well."

"I am. Thirty-three days sober. I heard you were looking for me from a very reluctant Ju. I'm guessing it's for something only a lawyer can help?" Maya leaned over and opened her passenger door. "If you need a ride home, we can discuss it along the way."

"You sure?"

"I didn't see your bike, so I'm guessing you don't have many other options at this hour." Kanda nodded in concurrence and climbed into her sedan, strapping her seat belt before Maya took off out of the parking garage. "So, what did you need?"

"My work visa is expiring within a month and a half. I wanted to apply for permanent residence, but was told to speak to a lawyer. That they could help the process along more efficiently." Kanda scanned the roads for any sign of Fiona's car and pulled her phone from her pocket as she spoke. She unlocked it as she nearly jumped out of her seat at the top notification cast along its lockscreen. "Do you think you could help me with that?"

"Absolutely. You have consistent employment and are a vital member of your office, so I doubt you'll have any issues. That being said, the process can take some time, so bring all your important documents to my office tomorrow and we will first apply for a visa extension. Bring any information you may have on your current work and why you can't part from it as well. Once that's filed, I'll begin the process of getting your residency permanent. Sound alright?"

"Yeah, that sounds..." Kanda opened her text notification from Fiona and her gut hit the floor of the car, pooling at her feet and sending her into a panic.

"Kanda? Is something the matter?" Maya reached over as she pulled the car into her townhome duplex and Kanda finally lifted her gaze, feeling fresh tears stinging her eyes as she repeated Fiona's text in her mind over and over, unable to form words. "Something's definitely wrong. Look, I know we aren't necessarily on perfect terms, but in spite of what I did to hurt you, I really am trying to change. I want to be your friend. We were friends before and that's something I'm not sure I'm willing to lose. With my family, I need all the friends I can get and you're one of the best people I ever had in my life. If something has gone wrong with yours, let me at least be support for you. Please, let me prove to you I can do better."

The words just spilled over Kanda's lips along with her tears and she viciously swiped at them, brushing them clear of her cheeks. "I...I started dating again..." Kanda waited for Maya to possibly grow despondent as she had the habit of doing so when things didn't quite go her way. However, after a short instant of trepidation drifting across her features, Maya straightened her features and took her hand. She nodded with a smile that didn't quite meet her eyes, but spoke to the assurance which she evidently schemed to exude. "I met my girlfriend's mother a few days ago and she is...was lovely... She was in recovery. She was even being sent home this evening. I was supposed to meet Fiona this evening after work to go pick her up and take her home, but..."