Chapter 10

The room smelled earthy, unlike the sterile cleaning supplies Jim was far more used to. He was groggy, identifying where he was by scent before he blinked himself awake and squinted through the gentle lights of the room. It was a large room with beds, the white hospital walls barely noticeable with the large beanches that curled and grew through the floor and ceiling, stretching out and acting as a shelf for various bottles and boxes. Small, large, short, tall, they all had a plant like smell that Jim struggled to tell if it was pleasant or pungent.

He let out a noise of confusion, huffing when he realized there were bandages over his head and wrapped around his arm. He was dressed in a hospital gown, the texture so soft that he wondered if he was even in a hospital. His throat hurt, his arm tingled and felt almost numb, As if his blood circulation was cut off and his limb had fallen asleep. He considered opening his mouth, he considered asking for help.

The faintly orange lights hung in the air, some were soft floating creatures, and other lights were pieces of heartstone littered among the branching shelves.

Where was he?

The door opened just as the question formed in his mind, His mother stepped into the room, she looked tired, her red hair covering her face and her glasses wet foggy. Her eyes were red, Jim could smell the fresh and salty tears. he licked his lips nervously and his mouth felt unbelievably dry.

"M- Mom?" His voice cracked as dread grew in his stomach. What would he tell his mother? How could he get out of this? He couldn't lie, he was in the hospital, or at least he thought he was. Was he hallucinating?

"Jim! Don't speak honey, you're ok. I promise, the healers took care of you."

Jim's throat betrayed him as a curious call escaped him.

"I'm a healer Hon, I take care of magical creatures and humans here. Arcadia is a hotbed for magic, so the hospital takes all kinds of patients."

"I- Is that why you're so busy?" He croaked softly, watching as Barbara Cooed and offered him a glass of... something. He hadn't noticed it before, but he let her raise it to his lips and drank. He trusted his mother.

"You're a healer?" He leaned into her touch as she stroked his hair, listening quietly as his mother revealed something she'd never wanted him to know.

"I'm a sorcereress, a mage, a witch. Whatever you want to call it I guess. But like other healers here, I use my magic and my knowledge to help people. Whoever they are."

"And you helped me, because I'm your son."

Barbara managed a short laugh, but it sounded forced to Jim.

"And because the world needs a Trollhunter." She murmured, a soft frown forming on her face. She sighed, feeling saddened by Jim's surprised expression, which caused her to feel worse as he frowned, seeming pained.

"You Knew? I- I didn't want you to know, to worry about me. I'm so sorry..."

"Well of course I'd worry about you, it's my job to protect you, you're my child Jim."

Jim whined, the trollish sound coming easily to his vocalcords even though he was in human form. He butted his head carefully against Barbara's hand and she laughed quietly.

"I love you so much."

Jim smiled, blinking to force the tears down. He couldn't stop then and Barbara wiped them away with such gentleness that he started crying more.

"I love you too Mom."

----

Jim didn't expect to see Barbara's magic work done so casually at home now. But it was always incredibly peaceful when he'd arrive from his training with Blinky and see his mother bathed in the orange glow of heartstone, to see her working with crystals or making potions in the kitchen. Apparently, she worked better with potions than food, and when he'd tried making a sleep potion so he could rest better, under his mother's supervision of course, he'd ended up boiling it too long.

Interestingly enough, Potion work was very specific and certain ingredients wouldn't work for everyone. Every potion was Individualized, like a dish. Jim had laughed when his mom had explained it in such a way. But the smells of her plants and potions was oddly relaxing. He loved seeing his mom bring the plants into the living room and different areas of the house, even the basement had a little grove for plant cultivation.

If the trolls or Toby had smelled anything different on him, they didn't comment, allowing him to rest his arm and keep practicing to get back to full strength. He was lucky he hadn't broken anything, he just had an abnormally huge scar that spanned his entire arm and half his back. It wasn't like Lightning had struck him or anything, he was fine. He was happy, he was ok.

He and his mother were ok.