Anna's Engagement Party

For their engagement party Anna and Mark had chosen a restaurant in Westor that sat by the edge of the lake surrounded by forest. The alfresco dining area at the rear was decorated with fairy lights strung in canopies above tables arranged with candles flickering inside delicate white lanterns. The fresh spring air of the night carried the sweet fragrance of the small bundles of flowers sitting in vases dotting the tabletops. The distant hum of crickets mixed with the noise of the party guests and the gentle instrumental music that played on the restaurant speakers. The combination of the sights and sounds of the party conjured a jovial atmosphere full of promise and excitement.

I stood amongst one of the small circles of guests on the terrace before dinner had begun, my fingertips tracing the rim of my wine glass as I listened to another guest talk about what they did for work. Toni stood alongside me and was only half listening to the conversation, her eyes occasionally darting across the terrace to a group sitting at one of the tables. I could sense her patience wearing thin as she tried to maintain a facade of indifference to what was happening at the table. I found it increasingly difficult to concentrate on what the other guests were saying with Toni muttering small scoffs here and there.

"Tone," I said in a serious whisper, turning to look at her. "Just forget about it, let it go babe."

She downed the rest of the wine in her glass. "Fuck him," she grumbled. "I'm getting another drink."

She stalked away to the bar inside the restaurant without excusing herself from the group. The others continued droning about their careers and how they knew Mark and Anna and their goals for the next five years, and just before excusing myself to escape the superficial small talk, I felt a large hand press against my lower back.

"Hey baby," Pedro murmured as he stepped next to me. I looked up at him and smiled, relieved to have him back by my side. "Come over here for a minute."

He guided me from the group with his hand still on my back, stepping around the crowd of guests and away from the terrace. Pedro lead us over the grass and pine needles to a wooden loveseat about ten yards away from the party. We sat down together and I leaned into the crook of his armpit, snuggling comfortably against his body while his arm snaked around my back so his hand now rested on my hip. I crossed my legs and tilted my head against Pedro's chest. We were quiet for a minute, savouring the distance between us and the party, and how beautiful the moonlight shone on the rippled water of the lake. Pedro brushed the material of my dress on my hip slowly before giving my flesh a small squeeze.

"You look so pretty tonight, darlin'," he whispered on-top of my head. I took a sip of my wine and my teeth clinked against the glass as I smiled.

"You look pretty good yourself."

And fuck, Pedro really did. He wore black trousers and black dress shoes. His chest and shoulders looked deliciously broad in a dark grey button up long sleeve shirt with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows, the top button left unbuttoned and displaying the tanned skin of his sternum. I ran my free hand over his thigh and up his stomach, a pang of desire shooting between my legs. We hadn't even been at the party for more than half an hour and I already wanted nothing more than to go back home and spend the rest of the night in Pedro's arms.

"How long we gotta stay?" Pedro asked, as if somehow reading my thoughts.

"Atleast until the end of dinner," I sighed.

Pedro hummed softly in response, his thumb stroking my hip again. For the next few minutes we watched the party from our position of the bench, quiet and content in each other's company. Until I spotted Toni pressed back against the stone wall at the side of the restaurant, kissing some man I didn't recognise.