Cuddles

Pedro was sitting in my bed with his back against the headboard, his reading glasses perched on the bridge of his hawkish nose, absorbed in the car magazine that was folded in half in his hands. He was dressed in a plain white t shirt and his hair was slick and combed back from the shower he had earlier. His biceps bulged under the short sleeves when he scratched the underside of his jaw, producing a small scraping sound at the whiskers bristling under his nails. He sighed and then cleared his throat. After another minute his eyes glanced up over his glasses at me sitting cross legged on the end of the bed.

"Quit starin'," he murmured with narrowed eyes.

"What? I'm not allowed to look at you?" I said with feigned innocence. I dropped my phone into my lap and smiled sweetly at him, unable to hide that I had been caught snapping unsuspecting photos of him. Pedro didn't like having his picture taken often and so most of the photos I had captured of him were candid moments when he was focused on something else; situations like him leaning over my car engine to inspect the oil, or sprawled on my couch watching tv, or stroking Tuddy in his lap. Tonight he looked so rugged and handsome, so at ease with my bedsheets pooled around him, that I couldn't resist clicking some.

"But ya ain't just lookin'," he grumbled and shifted his eyes back to his magazine to resume his reading. "Told ya to stop doin' that stupid Snapchat stuff of me, too."

"It isn't Snapchat, I promise." I picked up my phone and scrolled through the pictures in my gallery. "Sorry. You just look so sexy tonight, I wanted a pic." When he gave no response I peered at him over my phone and caught him smirking to himself, his eyes still on his magazine. As much as he blushed at flattery and mumbled dismissals of compliments about how attractive he was, I suspected he secretly enjoyed the praise. Emboldened, I pressed on. "You know, cos you're my sexy old man and all. Especially with your glasses. Professor Miller vibes."

Pedro groaned and dropped the magazine into his lap. "Are ya finished?" He looked at me sternly but I could see the smallest trace of a smile curl on the corners of his lips. "You bored, baby? That why you're tryin' to annoy me?"

I gave a half hearted shrug and a nod. "Maybe."

Pedro removed his glasses with a sweep on his hand and stared me down. "Babydoll, if you're bored, go organise your closet. It's a mess."

I glanced at my walk in closet and then looked back at Pedro, scrunching my nose up in disapproval of his suggestion. "Nah." There were only a few dresses and shirts discarded on the floor but I had no desire to pick them up and rearrange them just yet. With his eyes still fixed on me he squinted slightly, the crinkles around his eyes accentuated in the light emanating from the beside lamp, and pressed his lips together as if contemplating something. I raised my eyebrows expectantly in return.

"So what do ya wanna do, if you're so bored?" Pedro asked with an even tone, raising an eyebrow. I smiled at him and rested my elbows on my knees and cupped my face with my hands, my gaze never parting from his.

"I don't know." I replied nonchalantly. There was a silence between us for a few moments and I saw Pedro's jaw tick with frustration, then he kissed his teeth and sucked in some air. I suppressed the smirk threatening to show on my lips, well aware that my behaviour was obnoxious and testing Pedro's patience.

"Ya wanna go out, is that it?" He asked gruffly. I shook my head.

"No, just happy to stay in with you." I replied softly.

"Wanna watch a movie?"

"Not really."

Pedro rolled his eyes and held his hands up in exasperation. "Babydoll, go find somethin' to do and quit bein' a brat. I'm tryin' to read here." He scowled at me and slid his glasses back on his nose, grumbling under his breath as he picked up his magazine. "Silly girl, took ya shoppin' and drivin' around all damn day and now you say you're bored."

It was true - Pedro had taken me shopping and bought me a few new dresses and some make up I had been eyeing for weeks. All afternoon he had patiently wandered around the shopping mall beside me with his big hand clasped around mine, his thick digits interlaced with my much smaller, delicate ones as I lead him to different boutiques. The stark difference in our appearances always drew a curious look or two when we were out in public. I wondered what went through their minds when they saw us together; a much older man standing tall beside a much younger woman, his handsome face weathered compared to her smooth skin, him dressed casually in a flannel shirt and jeans while she wore a pretty summer dress.

They undoubtedly assumed we were father and daughter until they spotted our hands linked and me standing on tiptoes to peck Pedro's lips, or his hand stealthily swatting my ass after I had teased him about something. In the beginning of our relationship I knew he felt uncomfortable about being affectionate in public because of people's judgement, and although the discomfort had eased he continued to hate anyone glancing our way for longer than a few seconds.

"No, I'm not bored. And thank you for my dresses and make up again." I said softly. I knew it wasn't boredom I felt but more an unfulfilled neediness that demanded attention. I needed affection.

"No need for thanks, babydoll," Pedro responded without looking away from his magazine. I crawled towards him and nestled myself on-top of his legs over the bed sheet and lay my head down on the space between his crotch and his soft tummy.

"I'm not bored," I repeated quietly. "I just want your attention." I felt his hand come to rest on-top of my head and begin to stroke my hair gently. I relaxed under his touch and snuggled into his belly, humming with contentment.

"I'm right here, honey," Pedro said. "What do ya need?"

"Cuddles," I mumbled. I heard him sigh, then felt his upper body shift as he placed his magazine and glasses onto the nightstand before he slid his hands under my arms and effortlessly dragged me up to lay on his chest. His strong arms embraced me tightly and immediately my whole body relaxed into his.

"Ya know, if you need somethin' from me you just gotta ask," Pedro muttered, his face nuzzling into my hair.

"Sorry I'm so clingy," I mumbled against the warm column of his neck. A small chuckle rumbled in Pedro's throat.

"Nothin' to be sorry for, babygirl."

I eventually drifted off the sleep nestled on-top of Pedro's stomach and chest. He stayed laying down in the same position for the rest of the night. The only time he moved was to momentarily disentangle his arm from my body to reach over and switch off the lamp on the nightstand.