X,

➤ The Loss

➤ The Loss

A week had passed since their relationship had been officialized.

Tahani and Jake had decided to make it official despite opposition from certain people, notably Ronal. She did not view their closeness in a positive light and openly expressed her disagreement.

However, Tahani and Jake were determined to follow their hearts and build their relationship.

The children, on the other hand, were rather happy about this news. Tuk and Kiri had quickly developed a strong bond with Tahani and appreciated her presence. They were delighted to see her getting involved in their lives and becoming a mother figure to them. Their enthusiasm was palpable, and they expressed their joy through smiles and laughter.

Loak was also content, although he preferred to keep his feelings to himself and not express them openly.

On the other hand, Neteyam, the eldest of the children, did not show much emotion towards this new relationship.

Despite the reservations of some people, Tahani and Jake were determined to face the obstacles and build a strong relationship. They were aware that it would take time and effort, but they were ready to confront criticism and face the challenges that would arise. The past week had strengthened their bond, and they were eager to continue building their story together despite what was still happening at that moment.

Some warriors had found Ronal's tulkun's body and her baby, devastating Ronal who had just lost her spiritual sister. Ronal cried out in pain as the others surrounded them sadly in the rain.

"Ro'a, that was her name," Tonowari said, looking at Jake, while Tahani cried on his shoulder. She hated seeing someone cry. And seeing a living being dead.

"She was my spiritual sister, she composed many songs, she was respected. We sang together. She had to wait many cycles to have this little one. The clan was so happy for her. Why all this, Tonowari? Why all this?" Ronal cried out in pain. Tahani then dismounted from Jake's mount and went to join Ronal to try to comfort her.

After hours by the dead tulkun, everyone gathered in the center of the clan, angry at this situation, as Ronal spoke through war cries and anger.

"My spiritual sister and her baby were massacred by those who come from the sky."

"This war has reached us. We knew that the tulkun people were victims of hunting, but it was beyond the horizon, far from here. Now, it's here," Tonowari shouted at them.

"You don't understand. Those who come from the sky are not like us. They don't care about the great balance!" Jake exclaimed, trying to make himself heard, while Tuk was now in Tahani's arms, afraid of everything that was happening, and Kiri had taken his hand, seeking comfort.

"We don't care about what comes from the sky!" one of the warriors shouted.

"Listen, listen to my father," Neteyam told them, trying to make his father's words heard.

"Nothing can stop those who come from the sky. They will continue. So tell your tulkun to leave! Warn them to go far from here," Jake warned them, as Ronal glanced at Tonowari. "Tell them to flee?! You live among us, and you learn nothing, nothing at all!"

"No, we will fight to protect our brothers and sisters," a navi said behind Ronal.

— No, no, if you attack them, if you fight, they will annihilate you. They will destroy everything that matters to you. No, hear my words, hear them, Jake shouts, trying to make himself heard, while Tahani tightens her grip on the children, sensing their fears and anxieties. Tahani takes a deep breath and shouts at them to stop.

— Oh, stop! Tahani yells, raising her voice to the maximum. All eyes turn towards her, and Jake signals his thanks to her and takes the transmitter, positioning himself in the center to show them.

— Explain to the tulkun that if this object reaches them, they are certain to die. Let me know, I will deactivate it. Saving their lives is your priority, isn't it? We will save your family, Jake tells them, as Tonowari and Ronal look at each other in agreement.

— Tell the tulkun, Tonowari tells them.

— Let's go, Ronal says to them in turn, before everyone goes their separate ways.

Tahani releases the two girls and follows Jake, catching up to him.

— What do you plan to do? Fight?! she asks him, pulling him to face her.

— It's a trap, they're forcing us to retaliate. It's not the tulkun who are hunting, but me and the children, Jake tells her, kissing her on the forehead. Don't worry about that, everything will be fine, or at least I hope so, he whispers to her, fearing for what he loves the most.

 Don't worry about that, everything will be fine, or at least I hope so, he whispers to her, fearing for what he loves the most