Chapter 1

I could feel the tension on my neck as its hand gripped around my throat. It's claws were digging into my skin causing prickles of blood to drip down my throat. The air was quickly leaving my body as I gasped out my last breaths. Its skinny, sharp and black fingers couldn't be pried away by my tiny hands.

It's face was blurry but it's large black body was prominent. I felt like I was falling down a black abyss with it.

As the blackness started to consume me, I could faintly hear whispering coming from all around. My vision was becoming blurred and the whispering was growing. The whispers surrounded the air around me, filling every second with its persistent sound. I couldn't make out what was being said.

All of the whispers blended together but I could make out the hissing voices commanding "look at it, child" "look at it" "look at it" as I fell downward. The voices repeated over and over again, mixing in together. Though as my eyes snapped to the left and right, I couldn't see anything but a never ending darkness.

The darkness was taking over again and as I had experienced so many times before; I was dying. My stomach twisted in knots, knowing that the unknown end was near. I squeezed my eyes shut as fear coursed through my veins. As I felt the final moments of life being sucked out of me, I was being shaken awake.

"Lilith?"

I could hear my father say my name as he shook my shoulders. My eyes snapped up, revealing my father with a worried expression. His eyebrows furrowed and his lips were in a flat line. He always looked like he was on the verge of confessing his worries but never really acting on it.

"You okay?" he asked, sitting on the side of my bed.

My chest was heaving up and down, my breathing trying to regain control. I could feel the sweat dripping down my forehead. My lilac sheets were soaked and my hair was a mess.

I ran my hands through my hair, trying to quickly calm down. My father couldn't see me panicking like this.

"Fine..." I mumbled, sitting up in my bed.

"Come on, get up" he softly said, as he got up from my bed.

"We gotta go see Dr. Richard in an hour" he whispered while not making eye contact like it would make the impact any less.

"Why do we have to keep going back?" I asked, feeling the frustration rise deep within me.

His back was facing me as he rummaged through my tall wooden dresser. He pulled on the tiny flower knobs in search of a simple outfit to wear.

"Why do I have to go?" I snapped at him trying to control my attitude.

He sighed looking up at the ceiling for a moment before returning to my drawers.

"You know why, Lilith" his voice was quiet.

He pulled out a pair of grey sweatpants with a deep blue hoodie. He threw the clothes on my bed but I didn't go to grab them. He turned to face me, sighing as he rubbed his forehead.

"I hate this shit" I whispered.

"Yeah, me fucking too" he scoffed to himself.

We both looked like shit and we both knew it. I could see the deep wrinkles sealing into his face as his thick black hair was getting thinner. His eyes were always hazy now. I knew I didn't look any better.

I had permanent bags under my eyes that contrasted against my pale complexion. My thick black hair was always a mess. It usually had a wave to it that matched my mother's hair but recently it had straightened out more. The stray aways and split ends were evident.

"Why do we have to do this?" I persisted.

He took in a deep breath, closing his eyes. He opened them again, looking to me as he tensed his jaw.

"Because of this fucking shit, Lil" he gestured towards the soaked bed sheets "You think I'm choosing this...?"

"You were screaming in your sleep again, Lilith. It's every fucking night!" his voice began to raise as his tiredness heightened.

He sighed, realizing I wasn't paying attention. Instead, I shoved my head into my pale knees wanting to just sink into my bed.

I knew it was all of my fault. I hated when he talked about it. I tried to push down every wrong part of me but it was like it was festering inside of me. I could feel something bad growing and it was becoming difficult to ignore it.

"I don't know what else to do, babygirl" his voice was practically pleading with me.

I lifted my head to simply nod that I understood. He rubbed the back of his neck, sighing once more before he swiftly left my room. The door gently closed behind him.

I slowly got up from my bed and put on the outfit he picked out for me. I glanced at myself in a mirror that hung above my dresser.

The dark circles under my eyes were getting worse. My skin looked dull and dead. I looked closer and noticed that my eyes were beginning to look a different shade of brown.

I typically had very deep brown eyes but lately they had been changing. Each week I noticed them gaining small flicks of a golden color. It was hardly noticeable unless you looked at me up close but it was worrying me.

I debated bringing it up to my father but I worried that he would tell my psychiatrist who would conclude that I was developing an even more severe psychosis. I was sane enough to realize that keeping unusual thoughts or disturbances away from the both of them worked out better for me.

I sighed, remembering I needed to take my pill. I reached over, grabbing the medicine bottle off of my nightstand before popping one into my mouth. I swallowed before stepping over my piles of clothes and out of my bedroom.

I descended down the stairs to see my dad awkwardly standing by the door with his keys in his hand. He opened the door for me revealing the dreary sight.

It was lightly raining and the sky was covered in a grey cloud that had no end in sight. All of the grass appeared a dark forest green and the dirt surrounding it was muddy.

I climbed into my dads old pick up truck that sat in the driveway. He got in the drivers side before backing out of the driveway.

I watched as streams of rain ran down the car window. I tried to occupy my mind, creating contests between the different streams. Though, I never declared which one made it to the bottom first. I always felt bad for the other stream. It was trying its best to reach the bottom and I couldn't bring myself to pick one over the other.

I could sense my dads left leg bouncing up and down. He could make the whole rusty truck feel like it was shaking. His nervousness always heightened my own. Although, lately I had been growing so tired that even my anxiety felt muted.

We soon arrived to the small sand colored building that simply read "Psychiatry" in bold red letters above the door. An open sign flashed in the single square window that was covered with white paneled curtains.

Dr. Richard was the walmart brand of psychiatry but it was the only place that would accept my dad's insurance.

We entered into the building and the waiting room was empty. A few chairs were placed alongside the wall. The dim fluorescent lighting seemed to burn my eyes.

"May I help you?" the heavyset older woman asked behind the counter.

She was set behind a thick plastic that went all the way around her desk area. It had a small spot that was designated for talking.

My dad bent down to the spot before saying "Lilith Sinclair, here to see Dr.Richard"

The woman sweetly smiled towards my dad, putting her old grey teeth on display. Her rosy cheeks beamed with a dark color.

"Go right on in" she said, gesturing towards the only white door in the room.

I could hear a loud sound as she buzzed us in. My dad muttered a quick thank you before opening up the door for me.

I took in a sharp breath before entering into the room.