Chapter 5

I didn't know where I was but I knew I was in an old house. It wasn't one that I had ever been in before but it reminded me of my grandmother's house in Ohio. The old wooden floors, delicate detailing, and as I turned behind me, I could see that it had a grand staircase.

It actually seemed quite beautiful. Like a preserved home from the late 1800's.
The walls were lined with old black and white pictures that all had large fancy frames. I didn't know why but I felt scared like I should be running away from something.

I shivered feeling just how cold it was here. I could see my breath in the air as I rubbed my arms up and down. I looked down the long hallway that I was standing in noticing it had a room at the end. The door was wide open and the room seemed dark.

It was like a void of blackness but it drew me into it. It looked how I imagined space to be but with no source of light or stars. Every fiber in my body felt the absolute need to go towards the blackness. It was like a monet and I couldn't look away from it.

I made my way towards the door with slow and precise footsteps. I hadn't noticed till now how absolutely silent the house was. My ears were ringing from the void of sound and my eyes remained glued onto the open doorway like I was in a trance.

Suddenly, a snap rung out from behind me. It sounded like something had forced itself through the wall. I stopped walking as I slowly turned around feeling my heartbeat go rapid in my chest. I remembered the initial fear I had felt in this place. I looked behind me in the hall to spot a single arm that had broken through the wall.

It hung out in the air, not moving. The arm looked dead, skinny and grimly grey.

"Hello...?" I softly called out.

The arm remained still.

I turned back around to face the open doorway. It still called out to me like a moth to a flame. I walked closer to it before hearing another snap. Something else had busted through the wall.

This time I spun around to now see another arm sticking out of the wall but on the opposite side. This arm was a few feet closer to me and I felt my breathing pick up. The air suddenly feeling even colder. The cold air contrasted inside of my chest, almost painfully.

Snap. Snap. Snap. Snap.

More and more arms started to pop out of both sides of the walls. I screamed out as loud as I could making all of the arms start to frantically move around. They snapped, popped and grabbed out looking like an army of zombies.

"Oh fuck" I whispered.

I wanted to run down the hallway and back towards the grand staircase but I felt petrified in place. I didn't want any of the arms to grab ahold of me. They were all grabbing out into the air like they were trying to catch something.

Snap. Snap. Snap. Snap.

More arms popped out of the walls completely surrounding me. I felt myself begin to sob as it seemed I was stuck in place. If I moved an inch to the left or right, the arms would be able to touch me.

I turned around back towards the door to see the same man from my vision the other night standing there. He wore the same black pants and white shirt. His black hair was disheveled on his head. I could barely make out his face as he leaned against the door frame, his eyes glued to me.

I could tell that this man was the creature. His presence made me feel the exact same peculiar way that the creature did. It was fear but also it was like a tether was tied between the two of us. Like it was inevitable that he was going to get me.

"What do you want with me" I cried out, the sounds of the snapping arms was all I could hear.

He didn't respond, instead cocking his head to the side like he was observing me.