String in the Light

Arthur POV

When I'm sleeping, nothing can wake me up. It might seem like a good thing at first but if ever there's a robber, I'm screwed. He'd honestly probably be able to steal the watch I permanently wear and I wouldn't wake up. However, at the moment, I can't stop hearing this obnoxious voice in my head.

"Arthurrrr. Arthur. Arthur!" I hear very faintly.

I try and find a better position to make the voice stop.

"Arthur Leclerc! Wake up!" the voice just becomes louder and does not stop.

Ugh, can I not just sleep?

This is finally when I realize that this is a real voice trying to wake me up. Makes way more sense if you ask me.

The unknown person decides to jump on me and I already know who it is. I open my eyes and see Elise looking frustrated but as sexy as ever. I would give anything to kiss her right now. She's wearing a matching blue pj set and has her hair up in a bun. Her friendship chain is dangling over me.

We decided to buy friendship chains for our 18th birthday. Her's has an A on it and mine has an E. Cute right? Before you say anything, mine is manly okay? There was an option for both genders. I, of course, chose the guy option.

"Wake up bozo," Elise tells me.

She starts playing with my face like I'm a child. Sticking her finger in my cheek, opening and closing my eyes, making my face turn from left to right, basically doing things a 10-year-old would.

"I'm up," I announce.

I easily take her by the waist and put her on my bed so I can be the one on top.

"What do you think about that?" I smirk, clearly enjoying how easy it was to switch roles.

"Your breath stinks," she says.

"Shut up. I just woke up give me a break." I smile.

I get off of her and walk straight toward the bathroom to go brush my teeth. When I finish, I find her waiting for me on my bed, scrolling on some app.

"What do you want for breakfast?" I ask her.

She looks up from her phone. "Pancakes." she declares.

"Alright, but we'll have to make them," I tell her.

"I'm good with that. I'm a pro pancake maker," she says.

We start walking towards the kitchen.

"Not sure that's really a thing but sure."

Once we're there, she immediately takes out the ingredients while I take out a bowl.

We decide to put music at a low volume and start to fool around. We're holding each other's hands, trying to mimic couples dancing. We are failing miserably. I hold up one of her hands to make her twist around. We keep laughing every time we mess up which is most of the time. Let's just say we won't become professional dancers anytime soon.

"Ah-ah-ah-ah string in the light, string in the light." I start singing.

She makes a confused face that soon changes into hysterical laughter. What's so funny? She is now on the floor, laughing so much that she starts holding her stomach because her abs hurt.

"I can't stop laughing. This is the funniest thing I've heard in so long," she exclaims.

"What is it?" I ask while smiling.

After about half a minute, she finally stops laughing.

"What's string in the light?" Elise says while keeping a smile.

"Are those not the lyrics?" I question.

"Not they're not. Where did you get that from?"

"Well, then what are the real lyrics?" I ask again.

"It's ah-ah-ah-ah staying alive, staying alive," she reveals.

"No way. I don't believe you."

"Then don't believe me," Elise mutters.

"But no, it's not possible. I've been singing String in the Light ever since I was young. Do you not remember? In my father's car going to school, we'd all sing this song."

She shakes her head.

"Elise come on! I'm sure you do. I think you sang it that way too."

"I can promise you I've never said the words 'string in the light' in my life," she affirms.

"Alright then, never mind."

We finish making the pancakes. It takes way longer than it would take any normal person. As if on cue, my mom and Charles walk into the kitchen clearly smelling something good.

"Good morning guys!" I exclaim.

"Good morning." Charles and Mom say in unison.

"So before you taste our delicious creations, I'll give a little bit more information. So here we have the blueberry pancakes," I say pointing at the first dish, "these have a fruity and soft taste. Then we have the chocolate chip pancakes for the people with more of a sweet tooth. To finish we also have normal pancakes." I explain with a smile.

"Yeah, and these all come with a variety of fruits. As you can see, we have bananas and strawberries. We also have toppings such as jam, powdered sugar and whipped cream. You can also try my new favorite way to eat pancakes; with maple syrup. This is an authentic Canadian maple syrup that I bought a week ago so feel free to taste it." Elise adds.

My mom finds us amusing, which she always does. I'd say we're quite funny if I'm being honest. Charles, on the other hand probably finds us annoying but that's self-explanatory.

Elise helps set the table and we start eating.

"These are really good pancakes!" my mom exclaims. "Arthur didn't do much did he?" she teases.

"He was actually a really good mixer," Elise says.

"Yeah, and my arm still hurts, thanks for that." I jokingly complain.

"So are we still on for the beach?" Charles asks while taking a bite of a pancake with maple syrup.

"How is it?" Elise questions Charles.

"Honestly, I wanted it to be bad, but it's actually so good. Can we keep the maple syrup?" Charles requests.

"That's why I bought it." Elise smiles. "And yes we are still on. Amelie is meeting us here at 11 and straight to the beach we go."

I completely forgot about the beach. The only time I texted Amelie since my best friend arrived was yesterday to invite her. I really hate myself for it.

"Who's car are we taking?" I ask the group.

"Mine." Charles vocalizes.

He hates being a passenger in any car. In better words, he hates when he's not driving. Of course, I like driving too but since he's the oldest, I don't mind. Even though I don't like to admit it, he is a tad better than me at driving.

"Are you sure you don't want to come Pascale?" Elise asks my mom.

"No. You guys have fun. I have a long workday at the salon anyway." Mom responds.

Breakfast is finished shortly after. Elise, Charles and I get ready and pack the essentials for a beach trip. I decide to wear my favorite green bathing suit and put a T-shirt over it. Elise picks out a light blue bikini I've never seen before and pairs it with a white summer skirt. Everything she wears fits her like a glove. Her stomach is very toned and tan which is a perfect combo if you ask me. Her Chanel sunglasses give her a chic but effortless look.

I've been focused on her for too long that I don't hear the question she asks me.

"What?" I tell her.

"I asked if your summer bod was ready" Elise giggles.

"Always. Especially for you." I fake flirt.

It's at this time that we hear a doorbell. Amelie's here.