Chapter 5

Rami and Max ran around the house to greet their mom and dad, with Orion trailing behind. Their parents had just hopped off of the tractor, which had a large cart on the back full of wheat.

"You two are here awful quick," their mom said.

"And you're here awful early," Rami replied.

"Yeah, there was a big smoldering patch in the middle of the field and we wanted to find out what happened," their dad said. "Help us unpack some of this into the silo."

"We have a visitor," Max blurted, before either of them could open the cart.

Orion slowly appeared from the side of the house, the Clockwork unsurprisingly with him. Their parents were confused and shocked, but more worried than anything.

"Who is that?"

"That's Orion. He's from the Housing District. Doctor Brown said he had a concussion."

"Rami, what do you know about this?"

"He walked up to the door earlier before I went out to do my rounds and said he needed help. Sounds like he's the boy that Syndra is after."

"Hmm." Their dad stared at Orion as he approached the group.

"The name's Orion," he said, extending his arm. "I'm sorry about your wheat field. My reluctant bodyguard back there sort of crashed us into the ground."

"That would explain the mess, then," their mom said, looking at the stranger kid. Dirt and soot were caked into his hair, face, and clothes.

"Max said you have a concussion?"

"Yeah, or at least I'm pretty sure. I've never felt this wrecked in my life."

"Why don't you go inside and take a quick shower?" their mom suggested. "Maybe that would help. Rami, why don't you help him get a shower going? Max, you're gonna help us unload the tractor."

"Again? Why is it always me?"

"Because your mother told you to," their dad said. "God's will."

Rami led Orion to the front door again, but before they entered, Orion turned to the Clockwork. "Stay out here. Do not, under any circumstances, try to follow me in. You will destroy their home. You hear me?"

The Clockwork stood and stared at the duo. That was as much of an answer as he was getting.

Orion took a step inside and looked to see what the Clockwork was doing. It stood near the porch, still watching the two. He tried more steps, still watching the machine, but it stayed put.

He was finally making progress. All it took was a concussion and a game of catch.

"I'll get the water started for you," Rami said, stepping into the bathroom and getting things ready. Orion looked at himself in the mirror. He was a mess in more ways than one. Dark circles had formed under his eyes, no doubt from the impact, stress, and being unconscious for over a day. Dirt and specks of dried blood covered his face and clothes, and his hair was matted and crusted.

"I'm sure you know how to work a shower, so I'll leave you to it."

"Actually, before you go," Orion said, "I need a favor. Another favor."

"What's that?"

"I can't lift my shirt over my head. It hurts."

"Why does it hurt?"

"I don't know. Raising my arms over my head hurts right now."

"Okay." Rami moved to help, pulling his arms out of his sleeves and lifting the shirt over his head. An awkward moment of staring passed before Rami snapped out of it. "You're scrawny. And pale."