Chapter 6 - From Freedom to Worship

"At approximately 9:32 this morning, the sky across the entire state of California was blotted out by a dark cloud of unknown origin." The sound of a news report blared through the small home of a family, residing on the edge of the aforementioned state. A young man sat watching the screen alone, fixated eyes slowly turning to the window, "The majority of our contacts within the state have fallen silent and we currently have no information regarding the matter."

Curious and a little frightened, the man rose from the couch and slowly made his way over to the window. There should have been daylight shining from under the curtain, but there wasn't. Cautiously, he pulled the curtain back, staring outside onto his once vibrant street. Daylight was no more, eclipsed by a constant black shadow. Black mist hung in the air, orbs of inky energy hovering absently.

"What the fuck?" he said to himself. His family was out in that, whatever it might be.

Panic setting in, he hurried to the front door and barged through, no consideration for the effects the mist might have. Taking in a few breaths, nothing seemed wrong at first. "What the hell is this stuff?" he asked himself, looking at the small black orbs that hovered on his porch.

It didn't seem to be too harmful, as he didn't feel much different after breathing it in. His curiosity growing, he reached out to touch one of the orbs. They say curiosity killed the cat; never had a saying been so true. The small ball suddenly shot forward, dashing along his outstretched arm before diving into his chest. With a pressure unlike any other building up on top of him, the man crumbled to his knees with a yell.

"God, what the-" he shouted as he placed a hand on the floor.

Before he could even attempt to get back to his feet, he suddenly saw flashes of a person. It was a girl. She was dressed in pitch black clothing: leggings and a cropped hoodie which exposed her midriff. She was the most perfect girl he had ever seen, even in the small glimpse he had of her. Then he saw her black-painted lips part, a beautiful yet dominant voice calling out from inside him.

"You're mine now."

Every part of his body went numb as her voice cast a spell upon him, as if ensnaring him in a web with just a word. Her sultry giggle was the final nail in the coffin, the mischievous laugh of the fallen angel securing his complete loyalty forever. Within seconds, every thought in the mans head was of that dark goddess he saw on the throne. Her perfect figure; the way her foot hung teasingly in front of her as if expecting his lips to kiss it. Not to mention her wicked, condescending grin that made her look confident to the point of egotism.

"Yes..." he muttered, accepting her ownership of him without putting up any fight, "I am yours."

Across the state, millions faced the same fate. Almost nobody attempted resistance as their freedom was offered to the shadow goddess on a silver platter, effortlessly adding thousands upon thousands of slaves to her new empire.

Stretching out her arms as she rose from her human throne within the store, Lyra eagerly made her way to the front door to survey her handiwork. Heart pounding, the doors swung open as she took her first step into the new world. Outside, the city she once lived in was altered completely. Gone was the bleak, grey sky of a rainy; all that remained was her never-ending darkness, a shadow that would engulf all beneath it in her undying will. Countless black orbs each holding the key to her control surveyed the air, searching for people to enslave in the name of the shadow goddess. It seemed they had been doing a good job, as hundreds of men and women lined the streets, all on their knees with their minds at her mercy. Lyra felt her knees growing weak, her breathing growing heavy as she watched the founding of her shadow empire. All across the state, millions were submitting to her control, offering her the praise and worship she truly deserved.