The Thirsty Idiot

Your call time for the shoot is 9:00 a.m., on a private resort in Subic. But you're already there by 8:00 a.m. with your staff to set up the cameras, laptops, and lights. The magazine people and the hair, clothes, and make-up staff are also already there to fix the set and prepare everything. It's only 8:15 in the morning but you can already feel the summer heat starting to set in. You take refuge inside the tent that the magazine people set up. You're glad that you opted to wear a white cotton shirt, shorts, and flip-flops, instead of your usual dress and heels.

"Althea, I am so glad you could make it today," Jeremy Pedrosa, Glamour's creative director, greets you with a beso before handing you a Venti cup of Caramel Macchiato. You're not really a fan of ultra-sugary drinks, but it'll do. "I was worried that we had to postpone. We're so lucky that Batchi got to you. And I'm sorry if you were called in at the last minute. We just really need to finish this today. Jade's going to be busy for the rest of the week, and we have to meet our deadline by Saturday."

Jade, not Joan or Jane like Batchi said. Sus. "Thank you for the coffee. And it's really no problem, Jeremy. It's my free day so," you tell him even if you are still a little bit miffed that your supposed day off was derailed. "Is Jade our model?"

"Yes, Jade Tanchingco. She just came from the US, she studied there," he replies. "This is going to be her debut cover so it should be, you know, perfect. Bongga. I'm sure you can deliver. I was very impressed with the editorial that you did for us last year."

"Thank you," you reply after taking a sip of your coffee. That's actually really nice to hear, especially coming from a respected colleague. And that editorial is one of your favorite projects, so it's good to know that it's appreciated.

"Sir Jeremy, Miss Althea, Jade's already here," an assistant informs the two of you. "Should we bring her straight to the villa for make-up?"

"No," Jeremy answers. "Let her meet Althea first. This is their first time to work together, so they have to at least meet each other before the cameras start rolling."

You set your coffee down on the table and wait for Jade. After a few minutes, you see someone - a woman - approaching. She must be Jade - fair-skinned, just a tad taller than you, and... and yeah, she's beautiful. Bright brown eyes, long hair, cute button nose... that must be Jade.

"Hi Jeremy. How are you?" she greets your companion, before giving him a beso on the cheek. "I wasn't late, was I?"

"No, not at all," Jeremy answers. "You're just in time. You just need to be primped up by the hair and make-up team, then were good to go. Anyway, this is Althea Guevarra. She'll be our photographer for today. Our original one had to back out because of an emergency, but trust me when I say we got someone better. Althea, this is Jade Tanchingco, our cover girl."

Jade offers her hand for you to shake. "That's good to hear. Hi, Althea. Nice to meet you," she tells you with a smile. She's even prettier up close. Especially her eyes. And her lips. She has such pretty eyes and lips. 'Get a fucking grip, Althea. Calm down. Don't be an idiot,' you scold yourself internally. "I'm excited to work with you."

You take her hand and shake it firmly. You're grateful that it isn't obvious that you got a little weak-kneed. "Nice to meet you too, Jade. And, likewise - I'm excited to work with you too. And don't mind him. He's just flattering me so I won't ask for a high talent fee"

You and Jade both laugh and shake each other's hands for a little longer than necessary. It would have gone on for a bit longer if Jeremy hadn't interrupted. "Okay, since you two have already met, Jade, if you please, let's go to the villa so that the hair and make-up team can do their magic on you. Althea and her staff also need to finish setting up. Let's go?"

"Yeah, okay sure," Jade says, with a confused expression on her face after dropping your hand. "Um, see you later, Althea?"

You give her a smile. "Yeah, see you later," you answer. What the hell. Your professionalism is one of the things you pride yourself on. You are very much aware of the line that separates the photographer from the client, and never once have you dared cross that line. You are not that kind of person - you respect your craft too much to ever do that. But during those few seconds with Jade, you seriously considered crossing it. What the hell is wrong with you?

You try to just ignore it and get it out of your mind. 'You're probably just thirsty,' you tell yourself with a laugh. You've been so busy this month, you've had zero time to go out and meet new people. Most nights you just crash on your bed and sleep. There was this one night that you barely remember with this one random girl earlier this month, but nothing like the string of girls you had when your break-up with Wila was still fresh. Which is good, because you never want to do that again. Just thinking about the things you did to get over Wila makes you wanna barf.

You get your coffee on the table and take a sip. Seriously. This isn't the place or time to think about your cheating ex and all the things that you went through because of her.

"Boss Althea," you assistant Kim says, effectively interrupting your thoughts. "The equipment are all set up. You can check them already."

"Oh, okay. Thank you, Kim," you tell her. "Just let me finish my coffee, then I'll be there, okay?"

"Sure boss."