Tangled Webs

The first thing Jade notices is that Althea looks... not herself. She still looks gorgeous, no doubt about that, but there are dark circles under her eyes, like she hasn't slept a wink last night. Her eyes are kinda swollen and red, as with her nose - she's obviously been crying. Jade's first impulse is to take Althea into her arms and make sure she's alright but she stops herself from doing so.

The second things she notices is Althea's attire - a pink spaghetti-strapped tank top and short (very short) shorts. Jade gulps, distracted. Althea's collarbones (they are so deep) and the soft curve of her toned shoulders take her attention for a few moments but she forces herself to look into the photographer's eyes instead.

She smiles uncertainly at Althea. "Hi," she says softly. "Can I come in? I brought food."

Althea just stares at Jade and doesn't say anything for a few seconds. Jade shifts uneasily and seriously thinks about just leaving the food and the hoodie on the doorway. "Okay, I'll just - "

"Sure. Come on in," Althea finally says, her voice sounding a little rough and raspy. She opens the door a little wider and steps aside to let Jade in. She doesn't smile at Jade though but keeps an impassive face the whole time. Jade, although used to a very smile-y, friendly Althea, isn't really surprised. She understands that Althea is having a bad day.

Jade takes a look around Althea's unit. Much like her office, it's clean and modern, with lots of space, and whites and silvers. It's warmer and more personalized though - touches of Althea's personality are everywhere, from the anime-character fuzzy slippers near the door to the funky throw pillows on the couch.

"How did you get my address?" Althea asks once they reach the dining room-slash-kitchen. Jade drops the bags on the counter and immediately starts taking out the food - sushi rolls, spam makis, four different bowls of ramen, and of course, the cupcakes.

"Uh, Batchi gave it to me," Jade says as Althea hands her plates and bowls. "I went by your office to drop off your jacket, but it turns out you weren't there."

That gets her a little smile from Althea. "So you came here? To drop off my jacket?"

Jade nods. "Is that okay? I mean, Batchi also told me you were having a bad day, but she didn't tell me why. Ayun, I volunteered to check up on you and bring food. But I don't want to impose my company naman so I can leave after, um, plating all of this. I was just kind of worried. And Batchi was too."

Althea is silent for a few seconds. "You don't have to leave. And you didn't have to be worried or check up on me and bring me food, you know," Althea says as she reaches for a take-out styrofoam with a distinct brand name on its lid. She opens it and is met with a boatload of mouthwatering sushi. She is reminded again of how famished she is. "Hey, you brought me sushi from too? I love sushi."

Jade smiles at her shyly. "Well, they didn't have them at the ramen house but yeah. I did. I wasn't sure if you like sushi though. I just... guessed."

"How about the cupcakes? Did you guess them too?" Althea asks her. She opens the box of cupcakes and swipes an index finger on the icing of one of the cupcakes.