Keep Moving Forward

3rd person POV

It's already been five months since Mon went into a coma. Sam has tried her best to keep her hopes up, but with each passing day she was losing it. She still visited Mon, but not like before. She went once a week to talk to her about everything, get her new flowers and then she would go home. These weekly visits have been shared with Dr. Amanda Jensen. It's become a routine for them. Every Saturday they meet up at the hospital, talk with Mon and each other and now they go out to a bar and have a drink.

Sam has noticed that Amanda is very curious about her relationship with Mon. Sam had explained how they met, when they started dating and told her that as soon as Mon wakes up they will get married. Amanda always asks even for the smallest detail of their relationship especially about Mon. She even asked how Nita's trial was going. "She still keeps saying she's innocent, but we've presented enough evidence to the judge of the contrary. The judge is supposed to make a decision in a week." Amanda took a sip of her drink. "Hopefully her decision benefits all of you. You've been through hell and back because of that woman, especially Mon." They always talked about Sam and Mon, but almost never about her. "So any progress on my end doc?" Amanda laughed. "You're officially tumor free, Ms. Samanun. I thought you got that when I invited you out for a drink on a different day than our usual." They clinked their glasses. After various months of radiation therapy, a few loose strands of hair, vomiting and many other horrible symptoms, Sam was finally okay.

"So now what are you gonna do? Go back to your usual patients? I've gotten used to our weekly hangouts, but I'm sure they miss you at your other job." Amanda shrugged. "Yeah, I have a lot of work pilled up since I've been taking care of two very important patients, but I'll be able to keep doing this. I need a friend like this to get me out of my funk. I usually worked all the time and no fun, but at least now I have a weekly drink at a bar with a friend." Sam stirred her drink. "You never told me how you understood me so well at the beginning. Did you go through something similar with someone?" Amanda nodded. "Yeah, my dad actually. He was hit by a drunk driver and ended up in a coma. His condition worsened day by day. It was almost like he had given up before even putting up a fight. At least Mon is still fighting." Sam scoffed. "Is she??" Amanda looked at her confused. "I mean there's been absolutely no progress. The doctors have tried different ways of getting her to wake up, but she just won't. I don't know, I guess I've been without her so long that I'm not even sure if I have some fight in me anymore." 

Amanda patted her shoulder. "Remember when you were telling me about the struggles and misunderstandings at the beginning before you two dated?" Sam nodded. "This is just another bump on the road. It may look like it will last forever and that there's no solution for it, but I promise you Mon will wake up soon enough and you two will be happily ever after like you want." Sam took a sip of her drink. "Thank you. It's been a bit of an internal struggle. My family supports me, but it's hard not to lose hope. At least I've got my niece on the way to distract me." Sam smiled as she remembered the ultrasound picture that P'Fa had given her. "How is her pregnancy going?" Sam rolled her eyes. "Horribly! You know how many times Charlotte has woken me up in the middle of the night asking where to get disgusting food combinations because of my sister's cravings? Plus she's been moody at work. I had to intervene between her and Yha last week because they were fighting on the stupidest detail about a post and P'Fa ended up crying because she's so hormonal. I can't wait for my niece to be here already. I need my real sister back." Amanda laughed. 

"Do you want to have children after seeing your sister going through this?" Sam smiled. "I still don't see myself having a baby, but I can imagine Mon with my kid in her belly talking to her every day, singing to her even though my voice is not that great, midnight runs to the store so Mon can get what she craves. I'm actually excited to do that with Mon, but I didn't sign up for P'Fa's cravings. I'm helping Charlotte because she has Song as well, but no. My sister is a hormonal mess and it makes me want to punch her some times and I can't." Sam and Amanda shared a laugh. "What if Mon is a hormonal mess too?" Sam shrugged. "That's different. Nothing Mon can do is annoying to me. You have seen how adorable she looks. Wait until she wakes up and you'll see she's the sweetest and most beautiful person you have ever met. She can get anyone to fall in love with her. Luckily she choose me." Sam finished her drink and checked the time on her watch. "I gotta go. I have to go to work early tomorrow for an investors meeting. See you Saturday?" Amanda nodded and waved goodbye to Sam.

While Sam headed home, Amanda went to the hospital to see Mon. "Good evening, Mon. I was with Sam today. I'm sure you'll be glad to know she's tumor free." Amanda fixed a strand of Mon's hair. "She's been telling me so much about you. I can't wait to meet you. You remind me of someone I cared about a lot. She was very important to me, but I guess it wasn't our time back then." Amanda sighed as she held Mon's hand in hers. "We need you to wake up, Mon. Sam needs you. Your whole family needs you. Life is passing by every day, we have to keep moving forward and you're here like sleeping beauty. I know sometimes life can be hard, but it's worth it in the end. Yes, you went through something traumatizing, but the ones who hurt you are already paying for it. There's no need for your family to pay for it too." Amanda felt Mon stir a bit. "Mon?" Mon opened her mouth slightly and closed it again. "Mon, can you hear me?" She slowly opened her eyes. "Mon! Hi, can you hear me?" She nodded. "I'm doctor Amanda. You're in a hospital. Are you okay? Can you talk? Do you want some water?" She served Mon a glass of water with a straw, helped Mon sit up slowly and placed the straw in her mouth so Mon could take a sip. "W-what happened to me?" Amanda set the glass down and grabbed her phone. "I will explain everything to you in a moment ok? Let me just call your fiancée." 

"Sam! Sorry to bother you, but you need to come to the hospital right now. It's Mon, she's awake."