CH-1: Close Encounter

The life of a superhero is filled with danger, adventure, and excitement. However, 16-year-old Ben Tennyson was experiencing none of that today. As things were the most dangerous thing that could happen to him was getting a brain freeze from the smoothie he was drinking.

The state of his homeworld had changed drastically within the last several months. Things had calmed down not only on Earth but throughout most of the universe, save for perhaps the Anur system. The Plumbers, the intergalactic police force dedicated to preserving peace throughout the cosmos, have been granted powerful new technologies developed by the Galvan.

It has only been roughly about a week since the whole Ultimate Kevin incident, where Kevin absorbed all the powers from the Ultimatrix to stop Aggregor from collecting the power of a baby Alien X. However, Kevin lost his sanity in the process and went on a rampage, Ben and Gwen having to chase after him to try and get through to him. After Kevin had fought against some of his allies and those he believed have turned against him, Ben believed there was only one way to stop Kevin. Luckily, it did not come to that conclusion, and Ben and Gwen were able to restore Kevin back to normal, with some help from their friend Cooper. Still, after that whole ordeal, both Ben and Kevin have some serious issues the two of them have to resolve.

The teen hero leaned his elbow on the table and took a sip of his smoothie. "Man... I hate to say it, but... couldn't somebody just try to rob a store or something? Jaywalk in the street? Anything?" He wondered.

The Ultimatrix wielder then sat back up in his seat, and glanced around, almost as if he were looking for signs of something bad happening anywhere in Bellwood. To his minor disappointment, he saw nothing of the sort. It was then that an idea came to Ben's mind, causing a slight smirk to cross his face.

"Man, it sure is a nice day today." Ben said in a pretend happy voice. "The sky is clear, it's nice and quiet..." He paused to look at the sky. "What could go wrong?!"

Ben took another look around but was disappointed yet again by the lack of any commotion. The jacket-wearing teen slouched in his seat and shook his head, internally chastising himself.

"I really shouldn't be asking for bad stuff to happen." Ben berated. "Things could be worse. Boredom is a vacation compared to some stuff I've been through..."

Suddenly, Ben's phone began ringing in his pocket. He pulled it out and checks the caller ID, to see it's his cousin, Gwen. He answered his phone. "Hey, Gwen. What's up?"

"Ben, where are you?!" Gwen's voice demanded. "Have you been watching the news?!"

The Ultimatrix bearer glances about. "I'm at Mr. Smoothie's right now, so no, not really. Why?"

"There's something happening in New York right now." Gwen informed.

Ben then heard Kevin's voice from the other end of the line. "Something really big had appeared just above the Big Apple by the looks of it." Kevin inputted. "Wouldn't be surprised if it's something alien or somethin'."

"We're on our way there ourselves in the Rustbucket jet, but you should head there too." Gwen advised. "Who knows what this is. It could be something dangerous for all we know."

"Don't worry guys. I'm on it." Ben assured, wearing a confident smile. With that, Ben hung up, put his phone in his pocket, and reached for the Ultimatrix. He turns the dial, the core popping up, which brought up a green, holographic image of a four-armed alien. He turns the dial, the hologram changing to be a winged alien, which is exactly what he wanted.

Ben slams down the core, and in a flash of emerald light, he was replaced with a red, humanoid, manta ray-like alien with one black, lightning bolt-like stripes coming down from either shoulder and converging at the Omnitrix dial on his chest. It had yellow lips, which connect to yellow horns above his eyes that resemble large eyebrows pointed upwards. The alien spread his arms wide, revealing yellow patagia under them.