| INTRODUCTION |

I call myself ambitious.

A dreamer, star-chaser.

My feet are locked in place, but my eyes are on the horizon, searching for something, reaching for it, fighting and striving through the fog, the dark, for a glimpse of the beauty they crave to see.

A star-chaser.

I've always been that way, as long as I can remember.

I live life under a sky of dancing stars, distant stars, some faded, some shining. The blinking lights of hopes and dreams and far-fetched fantasies. It's a sky I call home, a treasure to me, a priceless part of who I am. I'm ambitious. I'm a dreamer. I'm a head-in-the-clouds sort of girl, stuck on the earth while my thoughts, my heart, my soul are lost in the stars.

As a child, I knew I wanted to be somebody. I didn't know who that "somebody" was or how I'd know when I became them, but in my dreamer's mind, those small details were inconsequential. There was an image I held inside, an undefined image, blurry yet crystal clear to my longing heart, and as my skies continued to populate, widening in a colorful range of breathtaking stars, that image burned at the back of my mind.

My beautiful ambition. It was a part of me, a critical part. And as I chased it, I was met with all kinds of struggle, pain, failure, disappointment. I was met with success, excitement, accomplishment... and perpetual dissatisfaction.

A dreamer is rarely satisfied.

The dream can always get bigger. There will always be another dream.

Ambition is a thirst achievement can't quench. Just like dreams fuel life in a way mankind simply can't replicate.

The ambitious don't quit playing with ambition. They don't lower their lofty goals. They raise their ambitions; they raise their goals. The more they achieve, the more they desire. The more they fall, the more they wish to succeed.

Ambition is a game, a consuming one. The predecessor to glory and a dangerous pride.

Ambition is dangerous.

I knew it was dangerous. Still, how well do I know! But do I quit chasing stars?

Heck no.

And so the journey unfolds.

My ambitions have brought me more sorrow than some of the greatest personal tragedies I've endured. In all its sadness, that statement is true.

Ambition, however, has also led me to my proudest accomplishments.

It's a gray-colored spell. Not white, not black. Almost undefinable. Mysterious. Elusive.

These poems paint ambition in all its mystery, all its elusiveness. All its questions and failures and glorious triumphs.

They paint it how it is, not how I'd like it to be.

It's raw; it's real; it's painful at times. But it's also victorious, empowering. Eerily beautiful and classically breathtaking.

Ambition can be a master. Ambition can be a slave. Ambition can be a powerful asset.

Only you can decide where your dreams, your ambitions, take you.

And that decision might just define your life. As it has defined mine.

Read on, and you shall see.

<3 Rea