0. Promise

prologue

BEFORE
                              (15 years ago)

Mia's pov

"Arthur! Let me go! I can't breathe!" I scream at Arthur, who is hugging me from behind while laughing.

My best friend suddenly unwraps his arms from around me, pushing his blonde hair out of his face while sitting on the ground. I take a seat next to him on the grass, crossing my legs in front of me, trying to catch my breath from all the running around in the garden.

"Mia, I have one last birthday present for you." Arthur speaks up shyly.

"What is it?" I ask excited and intrigued at the same time.

"You're going to have to close your eyes first!"

I frown a bit and then slowly do as he says. Unable to contain my excitement, I open one of my eyes to get a peek at what Arthur's doing. One of his hands goes in his back pocket of his pants, pulling something out.

"Hey! No peeking!" He shouts, pointing his finger at me, not wanting me to ruin the surprise.

I immediately close my eyes with my hands while chuckling.

"You can open them now." Arthur says.

I open my eyes and once my eyes readjust to the light, I see him holding a haribo in the shape of a ring.

I look at Arthur who is smiling, his cheeks bright red while he nervously hands me the haribo.

"Thanks Arthur!" I say and take it from him.

Before I can put it in my mouth, Arthur stops me.

"You're not supposed to eat it!"

"But...it's a candy?" I ask him confused.

Arthur takes it from me while taking my left hand with his, putting the ring shaped haribo on my ring finger.

"Promise me we'll be best friends forever?" He asks while raising his pinky finger up. I do the same, interlocking my finger with his without hesitation.

"Promise."

————————————————————————
💬