1. Best Summer Ever

AFTER
                               (present time)

Mia's pov

"Welcome home honey!" My mother whispers in my ear when we disembark the plane.

A feeling of nostalgia mixed with excitement engulfs my entire body when I breathe in the Monaco air as the hot, July sun shines upon me.

Home sweet home.

"Come, they are waiting for us!" My mother exclaims while taking her luggage and walking towards the airport parking lot, surprising me with her excitement. I genuinely thought she was dreading coming back here.

I walk slowly behind her, taking everything in and still in shock with the fact that we're finally home.

I place my phone into my pocket, ignoring the thousands of messages my friend, Beatrice has sent during the flight of the things she wants us to do once I arrive and start rushing after my mother, who's almost at the entrance of the airport. As I walk out, I'm hit with the memory of myself years ago, walking the opposite direction instead and I swallow, pushing away the memory and the uneasy feeling.

When we moved to Spain four years ago, I thought that we'd never come back here. It was my mother's idea to move there because when my father lefts us, it was just too much for her. Monaco reminded my mother too much of what she'd lost, of the happy life that my father took away from her when he left her, when he left us, so we did the same as well and we never visited...ever.

I hated Spain at first, not because I didn't like it there but because it didn't feel like home to me. Eventually, I grew to love it there but I always missed my friends and family that were left behind here.

That's why I booked plane tickets without thinking twice when Arthur, my best friend since we've practically been in diapers, invited me to spend the summer here.

FLASHBACK TO THANKSGIVING DAY

"Who let Lorenzo serve the turkey?" Pascale, the mother of the three Leclerc brothers asks from her seat "He's going to drop it."

"Relax maman." Lorenzo says unbothered "I got it."

As soon as Lorenzo, the oldest son places the turkey in the middle of the table, Charles impatiently reaches towards it, but fails miserably because Pascale slaps his hand away.

"Ouch." Charles pretends to be hurt as his mother gives him a look.

I start giggling, using my hand to hide my laugh but Charles sees me and winks at me. I shyly look away.

"And this is for you." Arthur then joins us at the table, taking a seat next to me and offering me a drink.

"My favourite?" I ask, hoping that the glass is filled with cranberry juice.

"Always." Arthur smiles.

"Thanks Art."

"Now that we're all set, let's say what we're thankful for hmm?" My mother, Stella says, which is greeted by us sighing because we all so desperately want to dive into all the delicious dishes in front of us "Shall I start?" She asks and we all nod "I'm grateful for my beautiful daughter Mia, who I so dearly love." She says, cupping my face with her hand and I return her sweet gesture with a warm smile "And for having my house full of people who I care so much about today."

After my mom, is Pascale's turn.

"I'm grateful for my boys, who can be a lot to deal with sometimes." She jokes "And for being healthy and able to celebrate thanksgiving with you both today." Pascale points over to me and my mom.