18 - uncharted

CHAPTER 18 

UNCHARTED

-------------- ★ --------------

"I can't believe it took me this long," you mumbled, eyes focused on where your fingers were dancing with Namjoon's, interlinked beside your head on the pillow.

"Hmm?" he murmured sleepily, his lips pressed against the back of your shoulder. "What do you mean?"

It was well into Saturday morning when you both woke up, Namjoon's naked frame spooning into yours under the covers as you both slept off the exhaustion of last night's activities.

Now, as the pair of you awoke, you turned in his grip, so that you were facing him. Your heart skipped a beat at how mussed and beautiful he looked in the morning, his cheeks puffy and his hair a soft raven-coloured mess.

"I think I've been in love with you all this time," you said honestly, and he blinked down at you. "But I only realised it yesterday. Isn't that insane?"

Namjoon just grinned, a beautiful dimple showing on either side of his cheeks.

"Always knew I was the smarter one of the two of us," he said pompously.

You slapped his bare chest and rolled your eyes. "Alright, fine - when did you know?"

Namjoon shrugged, looking away for a moment. "Always knew."

But you could sense he was hiding something. "You're lying," you correctly accused him. "Tell me."

For a moment he was quiet, but he could see that you wouldn't relent until you had the truth out of him.

"It was when you went into labour," he sighed. "And you were screaming at me, and you squeezed my hand so hard I though you'd snap it off."

You furrowed your brow. "You realised you loved me when I was screaming and trying to break your hand?"

Namjoon nodded. "Yeah. I think I just thought, okay, this woman is batshit crazy. And I didn't want to be anywhere else in the world except right there with you, having my hand broken and being told I looked like a dick in the hospital cap."

"Oh," you murmured, contemplating this. Namjoon grinned a little.

"Up until then I just figured that I wanted to do things for you all the time because we were best friends. Like when you gave me the position at Page7. That's what friends do. But then Taehyung came to the hospital and I knew, as soon as I saw him smile at you and Nari. I was jealous as fuck." 

The story made your heart feel like it might burst from your chest, realising how long he had been keeping this quiet. You didn't know what to say. Instead, you reached up for him, cupping his soft cheek in your hand as you kissed him, gentle and slow. It felt ridiculously good to be able to just kiss him, for no good reason except that you wanted to.

"Why did you never say anything?" you asked when you finally pulled away, your palm resting gently against his jawline.

"Well... I never found the right time," he shrugged. You could see that even he knew this was a pathetic excuse.