-09-

-JASON-

Jayda and I had been torn between anxiety that Salim had gone to the asylum without us, admiration for having Eric's back, and relief that he had returned to us. We couldn't stay mad at him for long. We never could be with each other, and even then, Jayda had picked up on something from Clarice and Eric that had thrown her off.

We'd discussed long ago that we would work to resolve whatever issues we had to not overwhelm her. I'd left something unsaid months ago when I hadn't been used to talking about things, and we learned an odd twist about her powers around Salim, and I-she's more in tune with us, but she could control it, as opposed to other people and she felt it tenfold.

My hesitation kept her from sleeping, worrying about it. We didn't understand it until she blurted things out during dinner, and she told us how intense it was for her. It wasn't anyone's fault, but we didn't want to cause Jayda any more stress. So we made that pact.

Jayda always used weed to level out, but between that and Salim trying to quit smoking, I asked for a compromise. She stuck to edibles when she had access to them. She took one after we spoke to Salim, and they went to wash up as I smelled the tobacco on him, too.

As soon as the bathroom door shut,  Billy appeared. I suggested that we speak outside. I wanted some fresh air.

From the cabin balcony, I saw that Jayda was right: once you look beyond the shit that wanted to kill you, it's beautiful here. The air is crisp and bracing, letting me slightly clear my head.

Glistening snow covers the landscape, and if you ignore the bloody history of the place, you can understand why people choose to vacation here. The tall evergreen trees stand proudly, their branches adorned with delicate frost.

Above, a vast starry night sky stretches endlessly, studded with twinkling stars that seem to hold secrets. When this was over, I meant what I said: I'm going off the grid for a while in a place like this.

Hidden deep within the woods reminds us of why we're here: the abandoned asylum is a haunting reminder of its troubled past and the present that's still hurting people.

The once imposing structure now exudes a sense of decay and despair, its crumbling walls adorned with overgrown vines and broken windows that whisper chilling tales of abandonment.

I remember how I felt when I had gone inside...a feeling of foreboding envelops you, and a bone-chilling wind seems to whisper in my ears. The air is thick with unsettling energy, and you can't help but sense the presence of evil spirits lingering within its forsaken walls.

Unseen eyes seem to watch your every move as you cautiously step inside. The asylum's interior is a labyrinth of decaying hallways, tattered curtains swaying with an otherworldly breeze, and peeling wallpaper that reveals grotesque murals long forgotten by time.

Amidst the darkness, the shadows seem to twist and contort, giving birth to shapeless figures that evoke a primal fear within you. Being a Marine and a hunter means that you're equipped to handle shit like this, but I'm still human...and something about this place felt worse than anything I've ever faced.

When you walk around the place, the echoing of distant footsteps and eerie cries resonate through the lonely halls, stirring a feeling of dread that you can't shake off. They want you to feel their pain.